SUSI grant "Normally resides" interpretation

dubdub123

My son lives with me currently and he is in third year of secondary and going to do TY.

Looking ahead he may not be eligible for grant if he stays living with me. Seems that it looks at gross salary but doesnt take mortgage into account...

One option i want to understand is if he moves back to his dad (in a different county) and stays with him at w,es and holidays but stays in relatives house in Dublin to finish school, would that be considered as normally residing with his dad?

My son has some other issues which will require therapy, assessment and being honest I cant see how I can cover costs it of all that, as well as college. Private assessment are almost 2k, and Im not clear yet what other supports he will need.

What would SUSI request to see? If my son moves in with his dad, how can we best show evidence of this? His dad has a council house outside of Dublin.

I feel quite overwhelmed trying to sort everything and to try get him the help he needs now, while trying to keep his future options open.

Any guidance appreciated.

Back