Sushi Restaurant in Cork?

Bluebean

hi,

Are there any restaurants within 10 miles of Cork city that do sushi?

Getting very tired of the lack of sushi in this country :(!

google was of course my first port of call, (I'm not THAT lazy) but unfortunately all the links on there are out of date or else the restaurant's mentioned have either closed down or are Japanese restaurants, without sushi.
Just thought that someone from the people's republic might know if there was anywhere new that served sushi in Cork but that may not be mentioned on google.

I don't know of a restaraunt anywhere that does it as part of their regular menu but the smoked fish people (Hederman's??) in the English Market used to have it on defined days of the week...can't recall which days though!!

I believe there is although I don't know the name of it or its exact location, very helpful indeed :D.

If memory serves best it is located just off Washington St, around about where Rosy O'Gradys pub used to be, in fact it could be the same building, North Main St perhaps? My college days are well gone...

Thanks everyone, sadly I rang the tourist office in Cork and they say there is no sushi restaurant in Cork city :(. Might try Hederman's at the English market the next time I'm down.

thanks.

I believe there is although I don't know the name of it or its exact location, very helpful indeed :D.

If memory serves best it is located just off Washington St, around about where Rosy O'Gradys pub used to be, in fact it could be the same building, North Main St perhaps? My college days are well gone...

Rosy O'Gradys on North Main St. is now called the Classic Bar & Night Club...just for the record! you are thinking of Wagamamas.[I'd recomend that for food but they dont do Sushi.]

As far as I can remember there is one under captain americas on south main street. Can't remember what it is called though.

As far as I can remember there is one under captain americas on south main street. Can't remember what it is called though.

Wagamamas is under Captainn Americas (see previous post). They don't do sushi

Hi Bluebean, Maybe there is an opening for one in the city centre. It is obviously a passionate subject for you. One that could become a profitable venture. The Irish palate has evolved no end over the last 10 years.

Rosy O'Gradys on North Main St. is now called the Classic Bar & Night Club...just for the record! you are thinking of Wagamamas.[I'd recomend that for food but they dont do Sushi.]

and its actually on south main street ;)

unfortunately all the links on there are out of date or else the restaurant's mentioned have either closed down or are Japanese restaurants, without sushi.

I feel your pain. I've encountered the same problem when googling for it. O'Connell's fish stall in the Old English Market is where I get my sushi. They do it Mon-Sat and it's made to order. I can't vouch for the sushi with fish as I get the vegetarian version, but I can certainly recommend the latter and he has plenty of repeat customers for the fish fare. There's also the Gem Sushi stall - usually in the Coal Quay on Saturday mornings - but for me it's not as good as that in the Old English Market. I'm pretty sure that the guy who makes it in the Market used to work in the now deceased - and much mourned - Yumi Yuki Club so...good credentials. As of very recently, Marks & Spencer in Patrick Street have started stocking sushi again in their To Go section. (They stopped previously because of the fact the it wouldn't keep beyond a day.) If you want sit-down sushi, Café Paradiso do it as a starter with tempura. However, that's again vegetarian, which mightn't be what you're hankering after. The Ivory Tower (off Oliver Plunkett Street) also supposedly do a type of sushi smorgasbord on Tuesdays for circa €60. (Never been, too expensive for me.) If you're feeling really desperate, Brennan's Cookery School run a sushi course every few months. I do make my own although I prefer being lazy and would love if there was an outlet such as Feng Sushi in Cork. I actually emailed the Yo! Sushi franchise in Ireland to see if they have any plans to open down here (their next venture after Swords is Dublin city centre), but they replied in the negative. It's a shame, because there is a definite (sometimes, erm, obsessional) demand for it and I often overhear people moping about the fact that there is no sushi restaurant in Cork. Sushi-crazed? Me? Never...

Back