Surveyors results - what now?

U

Unregistered

I've had a survey done on a second hand house which I have a booking deposit down on, and the surveyor came back with quite a few marginal conditions. The most important being the attic conversion wasn't done correctly but the vendor will correct this and I can re-inspect.
Other items that came up were inadequate ventilation in roof space and attic floors, rot in corner of roof eaves, replace sliding rail to back door, cover required for water storage tank, central heating system and burner need a service, gun barrel plumbing to radiators needs to be replaced.
Being a first time buyer, I'm a bit clueless as to what happens now. Can I bargain with the vendor to get these items fixed keeping with the same agreed sale price? Are they just normal wear and tear items that I accept if I agree to buy the house?
Any help / comments appreciated.
Thanks.

I think you might have room to negotiate with the vendor on a revised asking price. If your surveyor could give you an estimate to put things right and deduct this off the price. Or you could say the sale is subject to these items being rectified before proceeding, but this might run the risk of the vendor rejecting you as a buyer and they might put it back on the market. A call to agent handling the sale might clarify it for you a bit more, depending on the vendors circumstances

The surveyors report is for your use to decide whether to go ahead with the sale or pull out of it. You can also use it to negotiate with the vendor to get a reduced price if you decide to go ahead with the sale.

Same situation with me last month, surveyor came back to me mentioning a number of minor issues and one or two substantial issues – I decided to go back to the vendor to see if there were aware of this (they had a multi-gym in the attic, which was ruining the entire structure of the house), but they were not willing to negotiate one penny from the agreed price, which was already 11K above the asking (245K).

At this stage I had already put in a lot of effort and time into buying that house (probably that was my mistake), but luckily another house came up in the exact same area (bigger, better and only slightly more expensive) and I pulled out of the first one and put a bid on the new one, got it and now waiting to sign contracts!

Back