surround sound dilema

duffsaw

hi there people,
i'm looking for a bit of advice if you don't mind. i have purchased a 42" ambilight lcd and want to add a surround sound system. i have an issue about locating a subwoofer so have opted for a yamaha 1100 sound bar/projector. although this will hook up from the sky box/tv etc., it does not have a dvd player and i will need to add this. i was thinking of getting a ps3 but have heard that they are not great at powering a surround system. if this is the case i'll get a dedicated dvd player (any suggestion's), and stick to my ps2 as i'm not much of a gamer. any and all ideas/suggestion's greatly accepted.

regards,

duffsaw

i was thinking of getting a ps3 but have heard that they are not great at powering a surround system.
You need to use an amplifier to power your surround system. A PS3 does not drive speakers directly, it sends out an optical digital signal via a standard TosLink connector. I use it with a 5.1 amplifier and it's very good.

Main reason for a non-gamer to go PS3 is that it plays Blue-Ray HD discs and you can use the internal hard drive to store music and photos.

If finances permit, you should probably invest in a Blu-Ray DVD player. I know they are not cheap, but this is the format that has won the war against HD DVD in recent weeks. Over the coming months, you will see lots of new film releases in Blu-Ray format. Seeing as you have invested in an expensive LCD TV, the only way you will be able to appreciate the HD picture technology is through a HD feed. If you have not subscribed to SKY HD, then you will need to get a Blu-Ray (or HD DVD but this might be a bad idea) player. Note that these players will also play your "normal" SD DVD's, but have the ability to upscale the picture quality.

I assume your Yamaha will accept a digital audio feed from a DVD player and do the amplifying for you...

If you don't want to take the Blu-Ray plunge yet (still fairly pricey), you could opt for an upscaling standard DVD player. We got the Samsung DVDF-1080 free with our new TV (in Harvey Norman), and I have to say the picture quality over the HDMI connection is pretty fab. Also very compact.

See here: [broken link removed]

Handy if you already a big DVD collection.

Back