Surgery in US

Discussion in 'Health Insurance and healthcare costs' started by Cher, Aug 16, 2011.

  1. Cher

    Cher Guest

    My son may require brain surgery in the US as it has never been done here before and suffered a stroke a few months ago. Does anyone know if there is any way of getting any financial assistance for this. We do have vhi health insurance along.
  2. Slim

    Slim Frequent Poster

    Have a look here...
  3. WaterSprite

    WaterSprite Frequent Poster

    VHI covers treatment abroad if it's not available here but I think there are limits to how much you can claim. Give them a call (they were very helpful to us). There are few hoops you need to go through on this end (letter from GP etc) before you go. That said, I think treatment in the US is very expensive so you'd want to be sure of how much you can get back from VHI (and HSE/Govnt) beforehand just so there are no nasty surprises when you want to concentrate on more important things.

    Best of luck with it.

    p.s. it looks like that previous link might only apply to EU-based treatments - best also to give HSE a call to confirm. Your GP or consultant should also be able to help with info.
  4. Cher

    Cher Guest

    Thanks a mill guys