Surcharge when paying by credit/debit card.

Darthvadar

Was paying for a takeaway online, and was charged a surcharge for paying by card.

I thought this this has not been permitted for a long time.

Am I right?.

Thank you in advance.

Darth.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Red Onion. The charge is actually listed as 'Card Fee'.

How much was your card fee ?

I ordered an Indian takeaway recently, paid by debit card - €45 odd plus €2.75 delivery and a further 50 cent card fee.

I thought the charge was strange alright and miserable, but was hungry so put my principles aside and paid the 50 cent.

I think the card fee has to be consistent (regardless of the type of card) rather than a bar on charging a card fee per se.

Exactly the same card fee, Two for 1.

The small fee is not the issue for me. It's the fact that I think there was something a few years ago about additional fees for paying by card being banned.

Darth.

I think the card fee has to be consistent (regardless of the type of card) rather than a bar on charging a card fee per se.
No, surcharges for paying by card (both in person and online) have been banned since 13th Jan 2018 under an EU Directive.

Some companies instead impose a service charge, regardless of payment method. JustEat is a prominent example. Prior to 2018 there was no charge for paying by cash, and then before the card surcharge ban they brought in a flat rate service charge that applied to everyone.

Thanks Red Onion.

The charge is clearly listed as a 'Card Fee'. This is why I was curious. I know that service charges are permitted if they apply to all methods of payment. It is the 'Card Fee' that I question.

Darth.

In answer to your question, Red Onion, the order was placed via the restaurant's own website.

If the card being used to pay for the goods/services is classified as a “commercial” card (e.g. a business card), then a card surcharge is permissible under the 2018 rules.

Personal cards should not attract a card charge. If they do, it’s contrary to the regulations and unlawful.

Was paying for a takeaway online, and was charged a surcharge for paying by card.

I thought this this has not been permitted for a long time.

Am I right?.

Thank you in advance.

Darth.
I'm curious.
If you thought it was not allowed then why didn't you query it at the time or take your custom elsewhere?

For what it's worth I believe that this is the legislation to which others refer above.

Thank you for that, Clubman.

To answer your question, I wasn't sure if it was permitted or not, so decided to just go ahead this time and check it out later.

Darth.

Back