SuperValu.....Reward points and Scanning at Checkout.

Bronco Lane

I used to shop a fair bit in SuperValu but over the past two years I was seduced in to using Dunnes Stores €10 off for a €50 spend. As a result I seldom shop in SuperValu.

I visited SuperValu this week. Two things I noticed, the first was......after completing my shop I was asked to hand over my Rewards fob so it could be scanned and to avail of my Reward points. This was handled by the cashier and handed back to me. During these Covid times I felt that this was not the most hygenic. When in Dunnes Stores, my Rewards fob is scanned and not handled.

Secondly. In the past I used to get my Reward points converted to money off vouchers and posted to me. This happened I think twice a year. Then it appeared to have stopped. I can't remember the last time I got my rewards converted to vouchers and posted to me. I vaguely remember that on one occasion these were converted at the checkout, unknown to me and a voucher was spit out at the till but not highlighted by the cashier. At least in Dunnes Store you expect the voucher if you spend €50.

If someone here regularly shops in SuperValu, maybe they could give me an update?

Thanks

odyssey06

Can you install the Supervalu Real Rewards app on your phone?
You might have to register an online account first https://supervalu.ie/rewards
Check for weekly spend and save vouchers in there.
I write the code out in very large digits onto a postit and show it to the cashier.

If you seldom shop in Supervalu you may not have reached the threshold.
I think less than that they don't mail anything out to you.
You had to have more than 250 points on 3rd February 2021.

If your energy bill is with Electric Ireland you can use e.g. 250 points to get €5 off your bill.

My local SV has lots of antibacterial wipes around.
I use one on trolley \ basket.
I bring one with me and use that at the checkout handling the divider, rewards card etc

SlugBreath

I have to say that the Dunnes Stores system is the best. We get €10 off a €50 spend by way of voucher on the till receipt. Simple to use and I can use it to spend on any groceries. I also get an email offering me €10 off a €40 spend. I take a photo of this and use it on my phone. The problem with this is that you are packing your groceries, dealing with cash and change, managing your voucher on your phone etc. Much simpler to hand in the voucher.

Lidl have these weekly rewards. Specific money off vouchers on specific products. Not great. Dunnes Stores system much better. Also with Lidl if you don't have the internet on your phone you have to search for a spot in the store where you can access the internet to access the voucher.

SuperValu. I get regular emails offering me discounts on numerous partner product. But I don't get emails offering me rewards on SuperValu products. I want SuperValu to offer me SuperValu products not Electricity or similar discounts...

Gordon Gekko

That sounds odd to me.

We shop in SuperValu and there are screens between the checkout staff and the customers. The scanner thing is beside a little window and you scan your Rewards card or app yourself.

gipimann

Re LIDL and the app - I read about a handy trick for swiping the in-app card if you don't have reliable internet access at the checkout.
Take a screenshot of your Lidl card, and show the photo to the reader.

Leo

after completing my shop I was asked to hand over my Rewards fob so it could be scanned and to avail of my Reward points. This was handled by the cashier and handed back to me. During these Covid times I felt that this was not the most hygenic. When in Dunnes Stores, my Rewards fob is scanned and not handled.

The couple of SVs I'm familiar with all have little scanners near the payment terminals to self-scan the rewards card, and the only Dunnes I know still ask for the fob to be handed over, or at least did the last time I was there a few months back.

Secondly. In the past I used to get my Reward points converted to money off vouchers and posted to me. This happened I think twice a year.

As above, likely down to not reaching the quota, see here.