Supermarket Prices Have Increased . . . and more than we think

Agree re tesco. Also Supervalu seem to have caught on. As I am often housebound I get a lot of my groceries delivered and Supervalu are the nearest for that out here. A lovely York cabbage fr 49 cents and a big bag of carrots for under a euro. If I am out, i use LIDL and tesco mostly as they are within range and always a good variety at 49 cents and under a euro and if you get the basics range..

I noticed price rise in Tesco as well. I buy the cooked salmon which was €3.15 but is now €4.15. I have not paid that price since it went up.

Some here mention bargains and then go on about 3 steaks for €9, etc. I often see these offers but wouldn't dream of buying any without, for example, knowing how much a kg the meat is. I do the same with lots and lots of products, eg, chocolate products, biscuits, minerals, water, juice and an awful lot more products too. A few months ago I was in one of the big multiple supermarkets and noticed a fair few discrepancies in their pricing per kg and per litre against what the products were actually priced at. Took pics of the pricing labels per kg and per litre, and then the product with the price on it, did this to a good few products and went home and worked out the differences. Next day I again went to the same outlet, checked the stuff was still there and was priced the same, it was, so I went to have a chat to the manager about it. He was very concerned, actually couldn't believe the differences and vowed to have it sorted. I must say he came across as very genuine and was very thankful. So much so in fact he organised a €100.00 voucher for me and within 2 days he had it sorted. He saw me a few days later and told me he had been on to head office about this and many of the stores had the same problem, seems a lot of their pricing is done from afar and their labels, etc, are done for them. I presume he told head office he himself had seen this and so got good praise from the powers that be because he has moved from our area and on promotion too. Let this be a lesson for some and don't be buying stuff because there's a good price on the packet, check it works out as a good price per litre, per kg, or whatever. If you shop enough and watch pricing you'll get to know what a good price is per kg, etc. Otherwise you're just buying because it sounds like a bargain but is actually expensive.

Whatever about food prices, beer or wine does not seem to be going up, in Dunnes anyway.

Yesterday 2 slabs of draught Guinness was €50, using my €10 off voucher for a €50 spend meant I only paid €40 for 48 x 500 ml cans or a mere 83 cents each.

You could mix slabs of a few different beers or litre bottles of Smirnoff, any 2 for €50.

I paid my €40 and got another €10 voucher for my next €50 spend.

Frequently Dunnes also give 25% back in vouchers when you buy 6 bottles of wine, again you can use your €10 voucher off a €50 spend and get another voucher.

So using your €10 off, 6 x €10 bottles of wine will only cost €50 and you will then get €12.50 back in vouchers, net cost is €6.25 a bottle.

Prices before discounts appear to be similar to other supermarkets.

The above makes drinking at home worryingly inexpensive.

Whatever about food prices, beer or wine does not seem to be going up, in Dunnes anyway.

Stock up while you can! Government has plans for 'minimum alcohol pricing', no more use of vouchers for alcohol, can of beer will be at least €1.80, bottle of wine at least €7.50 and spirits about €18.

I hit LIDL for two cases of their wine specials this weekend, €4 for a half price Rioja and €5 for a Cotes du Rhone (normally €6.50).

Yesterday 2 slabs of draught Guinness was €50, using my €10 off voucher for a €50 spend meant I only paid €40 for 48 x 500 ml cans or a mere 83 cents each.

You could mix slabs of a few different beers or litre bottles of Smirnoff, any 2 for €50.

I paid my €40 and got another €10 voucher for my next €50 spend.

Frequently Dunnes also give 25% back in vouchers when you buy 6 bottles of wine, again you can use your €10 voucher off a €50 spend and get another voucher.

So using your €10 off, 6 x €10 bottles of wine will only cost €50 and you will then get €12.50 back in vouchers, net cost is €6.25 a bottle.

Prices before discounts appear to be similar to other supermarkets.

The above makes drinking at home worryingly inexpensive.

This must be brilliant for publicans who buy in Cash and carry's and the like, i'd be fairly certain they can buy cheaper in the multiples than in the c/c and more than likely it doesn't go through the system.

This must be brilliant for publicans who buy in Cash and carry's and the like, i'd be fairly certain they can buy cheaper in the multiples than in the c/c and more than likely it doesn't go through the system.
Very difficult not to go through "the system". Revenue will have a very good idea what returns a business has and if you are not within the parameters, you run the risk of audit.

But most of all, the hassle of using a supermarket to save a few quid is not worth it. Same in the food trade - many things cheaper in Aldi than from food service places, but the hassle is not worth it

Hm! Buy a bottle of Huzzar in one of the multiples for aprox €17 and then sell it for €70, i'd call that a bloody good margin. Do the same with other spirits, etc and if you've a crowd coming in, or a night club, etc, then that's a business in itself and don't tell me for one minute it's not going on. By the way in case you're wondering, or are tempted to ask, in the spirits business you'd get 20 half ones out of a bottle and multiply that by the price 20 times. There's a reason the multiples are selling vast quantities of booze and it's not the general public that are buying it all.

There's a reason the multiples are selling vast quantities of booze and it's not the general public that are buying it all.

The multiples impose limits on quantities to discourage this, the cheap booze is intended to get regular customers in to do the high-margin grocery shopping.

Back