Superb performance by Lowry

Delighted for Lowery and he really held his nerve. Great for Clara and Ireland too. Plenty pints had I imagine!

Great to see the other Irish players to greet him afterwards, although I didn't see Rory there..

PH was remarking in commentary how much as a wee country we punch above our weight when it comes to the little white ball. He was of course speaking as a United Irelander in that comment. Anyway, let's not digress, I decided to look at a few stats.

There have been 450 Majors in total. The USA have won the lion's share at 273. But expressed as a number of wins per million of the current population that is 0.83. The next greatest number of wins is the UK and its protectorates at 107 which weighs in at 1.6/m. The Republic of Ireland has won 4 with a ratio of .83/m, same as the US.
Ahh! but you Shinners want to include NI with the Republic, that gives a total of 11 with a ratio of 1.64/m, about the same as the UK et P. But if we are going to declare a United Ireland we must break up the rest of the UK and we get the following:
England 35 ratio .63/m
Scotland 55 ratio 10.2/m (wow!)
Wales 1 ratio .3/m
Jersey 9 ratio 90.0/m :eek:

Only Fiji comes close to Jersey with 3 wins and a ratio of 30.0.

I think if we restrict ourselves to the "modern era" Scotland falls off a log and Jersey loses Harry Vardon (7), probably pushing Ireland (32 county version) into a top five slot in terms of ratio.

And of course we certainly pull above our weight when you consider zeros from such populations as China, India, Russia, Brazil, Japan.

So we can add golf to horse racing, rugby, (amateur) boxing itself and of course Eurovision where we punch above our weight (I don't count GAA).

Last edited:
Add in our greatest sports person ever, Katie Taylor, and you can include professional boxing.

Great performance by Shane and great to see him adopted and embraced by the island as a whole. The R&A must love him and the venue - 250,000 tickets sold! The hospitality industry must love the event, every hotel and B&B from Belturbet to Belmullet full, lakes or porther drank and herds of burgers eaten, by all accounts.

The sister and I penned a a letter of congratulations to the IT last night where we described him as an Offaly good golfer, who Rhode his luck, scored his Birr-dies and took the Clara jug home. The last one appeared in the Indo last night.

Delighted for Shane Lowry, he seems to be a really down to earth guy.
I can't watch golf on TV though; it's unbelievably boring.

What about Irish professional boxing? McGuigan, Collins, Taylor, Dunne to name some. I'm sure there are few more professional title holders out there? Jimmy McLarin, anyone?

What about Irish professional boxing? McGuigan, Collins, Taylor, Dunne to name some. I'm sure there are few more professional title holders out there? Jimmy McLarin, anyone?
Carl Frampton is second only to Barry McGuigan in terms of his professional boxing achievements. I would have thought given your pseudonym that you would have embraced him as an Irishman even if he does box with the wrong hand, but let’s not digress.

Carl Frampton is second only to Barry McGuigan in terms of his professional boxing achievements. I would have thought given your pseudonym that you would have embraced him as an Irishman even if he does box with the wrong hand, but let’s not digress.

??? But he is Irish! Why would I need to specifically embrace him as such?

Carl Frampton
A young man slated by members of "his own" community when spotted on social media wearing a GAA geansaí.

A bit in the Indo caught my eye last night. The "Royal" in the golf course's name apparently has to do with having a minor royal as club patron. Some security oik, called Murphy according to Boris Johnson, asked the royal dude to move on as he wasn't displaying the correct credentials. Doesn't that bate Bannagher as Granny used to say.

It all adds up. A man from the former "King's County" winning at a golf course with royal patronage. But shure look, sound out like.

Back