Suncreams

MUM2KIDS

Hi, Does anyone know the shelf life of suncreams. I bough a couple of high factor suncreams for the kids last year but only used a small amount. I am off to Ibiza in May and was wondering if the creams are still OK to use?

Yes by law they must carry a best before date. On a tube it is usually on the crimp and is quite hard to read.

If you do have to buy more suncreams you should consider P 20 which has an SPF of 20, it only has to be applied once a day which is great when you have four kids like me :) .

[broken link removed]

I think it was only very recently brought in that all suncreams must have an expiry date, up to this, some do and some don't (Pizbuin do for example). I'm not sure that P20 is suitable for younger children/babies but you can get Parasol for kids (same type of product) which is suitable for over 2's. One thing I would steer clear of is buying lotions abroad, especially the ones sitting in shelves outside the shops, you never know how long they've been sitting there and also exposed to sunlight, I was away with a couple before who bought a factor 12, they don't have fair skin and with the sunburn they got afterwards they may as well have been using babyoil.

Most sun creams/lotions should be OK for a couple of years if they're stored away from direct sunlight and extreme temperatures.

The big trick with kids is to apply the cream as far as possible in advance of them going out in the sun and getting sweaty (or wet). The longer it has to soak in, the better the protection...

Back