Sun/Ski Resort

M

m_g

Hi,

Does anyone know of a a good location that would take in skiing in the winter months and would have decent sunshine during the summer?

Thanks

The Sierra Nevada in the South of Spain is brilliant for skiing during the winter and very warm from April through to October, also very beautiful. It's close to the city of Granada and not too far from the coast either, has the best of both worlds.

Hi,

Does anyone know of a a good location that would take in skiing in the winter months and would have decent sunshine during the summer?

Thanks
Lebanon? [used to be famous for skiing in the morning and sunbathing in the afternoon but I guess this isn't what you're looking for]

Sierra Nevada, Spain has already been mentioned. Personally I don't think the skiing is up to much.

Nice, France. Has relatively easy access to the Alps Maritime (Isola 2000) and lots of sunshine pretty much all year round. 300+ days, which is why the film industry was based there. Also Grenoble for Alps D'Huez etc.

California (also Sierra Nevada) e.g. especially around Lake Tahoe on the Nevada side.

Or any of a whole load of other Southern US states like Taos, New Mexico or Breckenridge, Colorado. Taos claims 300 days of sunshine, although that of course is a marketing number. Breckenridge actually has a (cold) desert even though it is high in the mountains, due to being in the rain shadow of the higher peaks.

These ski resorts certainly aren't always warm, but they can be dry and sunny.

Sierra Nevada fills the bill, but the resort is drab and unattractive. Most skiers drive up from Granada to ski; the resort is dead at night and the couple of hotels are renowned for overcharging. A good many apartments were sold in Sierra Nevada to investors, but they are mostly empty during the season.

If you want the combination of sun and skiing, buy in Granada itself, or down on the coast at Motril or anywhere within an hours drive of Sierra Nevada. Don't buy up in the resort.

Another poster described the skiing as poor, but this year a few good dumps of snow left it in the "not bad at all" category. At one stage there was about 60 km of good skiing available, all good quality snow. I accept though that not all years are as good as this one.

Another poster described the skiing as poor, but this year a few good dumps of snow left it in the "not bad at all" category. At one stage there was about 60 km of good skiing available, all good quality snow. I accept though that not all years are as good as this one.

Maybe the OP can give some more requirements, as it is a very open question. I agree that it most cases you probably want a place in a town near one or more resorts, rather than the other way on. Also small resorts always have their day depending on the season and the direction of the snow storms that Winter. Italy has been fantastic this year by all accounts. Friends of mine have had huge deep powder days in Zauchensee that is normally really dull. Just FYI Saas Fee has over 100Km pistes and I get bored after 4 days. Alpe D'Huez has over 300Km. Espace Killy (val dÍsere) also has over 300Km for all levels. I've been there about ten times for a week and not got bored. Chamonix for example is very very busy in Summer with climbers, but is not cheap, and a week there is more than enough for skiing but it is great as a weekend resort. Horses for courses.

Ski seasons are generally very short (and seem to be getting even shorter) Summer seasons tend to be limited by school holidays.

What usage do you envisage? Any more requirements e.g. travel time etc.

I think you can't beat around Bourg st Maurice in France.
You have easy access to Les Arc, Tignes, Val D'isere, Ste Foy, La Plagne.
The weather is great in the summer too and lots of activities to do.
Property is alot more expensi

Cheers, loads to look through.

I was looking for a place that was easy to access from a Airport. That flies regularly from Cork, Shannon or Dublin.

If we were going to use the property for both ski and sun it would be used at least 6-8 weeks a year.

I was looking for a place that was easy to access from a Airport. That flies regularly from Cork, Shannon or Dublin.

Lyon, Geneva and Grenoble are all about 2 to 21/2 drive
Chambery is 75 mins drive but usually only flies from belfast.
More flights in winter than summer....but good deals to be had.

Hi,

Thanks

Calabria in southern italy has 2 months of skiiing and plenty of sun in the summer. Lot of issues down there with building permits and environmental regulations at the moment, so if you looked there it would need to be a finished house, and you would have to have everything thoroughly checked before purchase - titles, loans on the land etc.
Sicily might be a better if more expensive option, as there is skiing on mount etna (not sure how long a season). If you could get a place in Cefalu or Taormina its doesnt get more beautiful then that, and along with all the other cultural things italy has to offer I think it would be your best bet

Cheers, loads to look through.

If we were going to use the property for both ski and sun it would be used at least 6-8 weeks a year.
US and Canadian travel time is probably going to be too far for you (although I really do like skiing in Canada & the US) and property prices are much lower for what you get.

You might want to look at this article. http://www.thekileygroup.com/blog/2...tments-in-uscanadian-ski-resorts-on-the-rise/ which I realise is a complete puff, but I think it is worth looking at the alternatives even if you'll probably decide to reject them just so that it clears up what is really important for you in your choice.

I skied Kicking Horse last year together with Fernie, Sunshine, & Lake Louise on a 3 week trip. It is certainly not for everyone. A couple of restaurants, around 4 lifts, & one pub (so make sure you don't get banned! but the Scottish landlord Stuart is very friendly). Friends of mine swear by Revelstoke. They used to go to a cat skiing operation before there were even any lifts built. Loads of negatives but what great mountains with so much terrain so few people and what amazing snow. Depends how die hard you think you're gonna be. There was plenty of cheap and high quality property available in Kicking Horse but it really is in the middle of nowhere.

Affordability in the French resorts is likely to be a problem and you have to ask if you'll not be better off renting. And you should really consider global warming for marginal resorts (anything below 2000m imvho) Seasons are already much shorter than even ten years ago.

Back