Summons for speeding ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
[broken link removed]

The majority of road crashes are caused by human error. In fact driver error accounts for over 80% of all fatal and injury crashes.
  • Excessive or inappropriate speeding is the cause of a quarter of all fatal crashes each year
  • Drink driving is a factor in over one third of all fatal crashes in Ireland
  • Without a seat belt three out of four people will be killed or seriously injured in a head on crash
  • Speed is the single largest factor contributing to road deaths in Ireland.
  • Over 40% of fatal accidents are caused by excessive or inappropriate speed.
Maybe I am reading that wrong but is 40% or a quarter (25%) of all fatal accidents caused by speeding? Is 80% driver error not largest factor? Inappropriate speed is not speeding, is it? As you can be under the speed limit and still be at an inappropriate speed?

Speed is at the core of the road safety problem because higher speed reduces the time available to avoid collision and makes the impact in a collision more severe.
How then are the roads with the highest average speeds, motorways the safest? I'm not avocating speeding but those stats (where are they from?) aren't clear. For example are the roads with the highest conviction rates for speeding the raods with the most fatalities?

Folks-the question relates to the technicalities of receiving a speeding ticket/fine. Much of what has been said in the last page would be better discussed in Letting Off Steam-indeed it has been discussed there several times before.

My request was ignored so I am locking the thread (several posts have been unapproved). Feel free to carry on a debate on road deaths in Letting Off Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back