Suggestions for improving public transport in Ireland.

Integrated ticketing for Dublin is looking like it might actually happen and not because it was in the Green/FF agreement document to do so. The RPA had signed contracts way before the agreement with an IBM consortium to build the system and are in the tendering phase to run it.

Secondly, some bus drivers need some serious retraining, , for example the idiot who had a yellow junction completly blocked up on Saturday evening near Croker,

I find it strange on my commute into Dublin watching people not getting on the CIE buses but getting on the private coaches instead(JJs buses from Urlingford for example). I can only presume they believe they get better value for money by not using CIE. Privitisation was a disaster in some towns in the UK(eg Oxford), but some managed element of competition is needed in areas like Dublin. If Dublin bus are not servicing an area and some other company believes they can, then why not let them?

lastly, transfer some of the funding for Dublin bus to rural buses so that there are more buses in rural areas, not less, people can walk in the cities on those things called footpaths

I find it strange on my commute into Dublin watching people not getting on the CIE buses but getting on the private coaches instead(JJs buses from Urlingford for example). I can only presume they believe they get better value for money by not using CIE.

Very much so IME. More modern, comfortable buses and running more frequently too.

Back