Suggestions as to what might be the most suitable Wifi operated central heating control for a summer home

rosco

Hi folks. I'm seeking suggestions at to what might be the most suitable wifi operated central heating control for a summer home. I just want a control that facilitates turning heating on / off remotely before visiting the house or during very frosty weather. Don't need zoning or hot water application. I know about Nest Hive etc but they have too many features for what I need.
All suggestions welcome

Assuming there's wifi in the summer house, something simple like https://www.amazon.co.uk/THR316-Temperature-Humidity-Monitoring-Upgrade/dp/B0B5GM1LTG/ref=asc_df_B0B5GM1LTG/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=606635923907&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6209776577442720608&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20474&hvtargid=pla-1754616597244&psc=1 (this) should work using your phone and can be set up to also automatically switch on / off depending on temperatures.

Nest is fantastic for this. You can see what the temperature is in the house on your smartphone and can set heat to come on below a certain temperature to reduce risk of pipes freezing if we're in a cold spell. One of the best bits of tech ive bought in the last decade. Can't beat getting the heat on when you're on the way home so the house is warm when you arrive!

Thanks folks for the above. Nest seems to be a winner. Just a query. It appears 9* is the lowest setting for Nest. As the house is unoccupied for most of winter that would mean Nest activating the heating should house temp fall below 9*. This would be an unnecessary usage of oil. Is there any way of setting it to a lower temp or turning it off via the app until heat is required ie prior to visiting or minus temps in the air

That's great. On learning of how good Nest is I will definitely consider replacing my Flash Programmer with Nest in our main residence. Could a 2nd Nest for the summer house be added to the same app for the main house and if so might it complicated to operate between the 2 Nests.
Thanks all

If you are looking at replacing heating controls in your primary residence; consider Drayton Wiser with smart radiator thermostatic valves. It's not cheap, but makes your entire house heating set up much more controllable.

I use Ember and it has no monthly fee. I've also replaced my sisters heating controls with a Drayton Wiser and it would also do the job.

Another satisfied Ember user here. The app has the facility to add additional homes.

As the house is unoccupied for most of winter that would mean Nest activating the heating should house temp fall below 9*.
An interior temperature of <9° is likely to lead to damp, mould, and decay of soft furnishings. It could be a false economy.

My parents had a holiday house for years and what was invaluable in the winter was a dehumidifier draining into the sink.

Hi I have indeed installed a dehumidifier on continuous drain set to a timer which is brilliant and no issues of dampness/mould arise .
Just that I'm getting internet installed in holiday home and am seeking advice as to the best way to turn on/off oil heating ,as required, via an app . Thanks for your advice

Back