Suggestions about purchasing a good mattress

We recently got an EMMA mattress last year and find it great, very comfortable. Is a Which Best Buy too
https://www.emma-mattress.ie/shop/
Keep an eye out for vouchers or codes as I think they had a great special offer recently.
[edit] 30% off with JUNE30 but ends in 3 days.

I bought mattresses in EZ Living in Togher.
When I stared out I was convinced I preferred harder mattresses. As it turned out, I prefer softer mattresses.
I recommend you do what I did, and what many advise, take off your shoes and jacket and lie on one bed after another. After trying a few you’ll get really tuned into it. I was there the bones of an hour, but it was time well spent.
The next time we bought a mattress I didn’t shop around, just got the same again, for the spare room.
Even to this day, I’ll sit on the edge of the bed and suddenly find myself thinking, “ah, I’m so comfortable. Ah, this mattress is great”.

I’m so glad I didn’t buy a hard one, as Id intended.

Ikea mattress - you have to buy Ikea sheets!! Standard sheets from Penney’s don’t fit an Ikea mattress..

I bought mattresses in EZ Living in Togher.
When I stared out I was convinced I preferred harder mattresses. As it turned out, I prefer softer mattresses.
I recommend you do what I did, and what many advise, take off your shoes and jacket and lie on one bed after another. After trying a few you’ll get really tuned into it. I was there the bones of an hour, but it was time well spent.
The next time we bought a mattress I didn’t shop around, just got the same again, for the spare room.
Even to this day, I’ll sit on the edge of the bed and suddenly find myself thinking, “ah, I’m so comfortable. Ah, this mattress is great”.

I’m so glad I didn’t buy a hard one, as Id intended.
I went to Caseys. Far too much choice for me.... and quite expensive! But I suppose a good mattress will be expensive anyway!

Ikea mattress - you have to buy Ikea sheets!! Standard sheets from Penney’s don’t fit an Ikea mattress..
It's gotten even more confusing in the last few years, as IKEA now have both sizes. You can buy a 'standard double' or an 'ikea double'.
There's about 10cm in the difference between some of the sizes, so not only will the sheets not fit, but the mattress might not suit some bedframes.

1. I have no problem with sheets, though I don't buy cheap ones (or IKEA sheets) as I believe its a false economy.

2. @Drakon For some people, including me, a heavy mattress can be difficult to lift at each corner to tuck in sheets. The mattress topper is far easier.

I went to Caseys. Far too much choice for me.... and quite expensive! But I suppose a good mattress will be expensive anyway!
Yes it's important to remember that you'll be spending a third of your life on that mattress, more than your car, shoes etc so it makes sense to spend a decent amount on it.

Since the year dot we had being buying beds and mattresses from this huge outlet and that huge outlet. Money was always a factor for us. But, a week after I retired we paid a visit to Swan Beds Cork (Togher) and spent much more than we used to with a company that does nothing else other than mattresses and beds. It was money well spent, no hard selling, just plenty of care and advice. And the "x" factor zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . . zzzzzzzzz

Roll them up and stuff into hot press; and use the time you've saved to read the NYT ;)

Last edited:
Back