Suggest a One Night Luxury Getaway

A very good decision I think, hope you enjoy it. A word of warning, if you want to eat in the Italian restaurant, Sol Oriens (which I've always enjoyed and you can see their menu on the hotel website), book in advance. Any time I was there the place had been booked out and I've seen many people arrive on spec but not be able to get a table.

Haven't stayed in it but I live fairly close and have eaten/drank in it on a few occasions. Service and food is definitely not 5 star standard. Sorry!

A very good decision I think, hope you enjoy it. A word of warning, if you want to eat in the Italian restaurant, Sol Oriens (which I've always enjoyed and you can see their menu on the hotel website), book in advance. Any time I was there the place had been booked out and I've seen many people arrive on spec but not be able to get a table.

Sol Oriens is usually best booked 2 weeks in advance. For a Saturday night anyway. Service and food is better than the hotel (but still not great.)

I have just boòked a 2 night break for 2nd August till the 4 august in the Maryborough hotel & spa in cork.I got a great deal online €159 each for 2 nights bed & breakfast and i evening meal.It has a spa and pool.

I have just boòked a 2 night break for 2nd August till the 4 august in the Maryborough hotel & spa in cork.I got a great deal online €159 each for 2 nights bed & breakfast and i evening meal.It has a spa and pool.

A great choice also. Have stayed there numerous times and have never been disappointed. That is a great deal.

My thought are why waste time leaving dublin, why not see about booking into one of the 4-5* places in dublin for the night (Merrion, Dylan, Shelbourne, Four Seasons), then you have the options of doing some local sightseeing as well.
WE've done it once or twice, and it lovely and relaxing to be able to go to 'that' restaurant everyone is talking about, 'that' bar, and then head back to your hotel, without a worry of who's turn is it to drive.
Then the next day maybe do somewhere you wouldn't do as a local, be it going to guinness storehouse, or national gallery, Trinity... There are a lot of places around that I still haven't seen and i work in dublin!
Merrion is the only one I believe that has the pool / spa bit, but i'm open to correction on that!

Brook Lodge is lovely but my favourite of any place I've been, inside and outside of Ireland, is The Heritage at Killenard.

Golf: championship course or par 3
Bowling: indoor green
Gym: as well equipped as I need it to be ;)
Spa: beautiful, highly recommend the Heritage Spa Experience, €60 for 3 hours
Walking: as much as you like around the track

Eating:
Arlington Room, upmarket hotel in restaurant
Slieve Bloom, bar food, nice but not quite substantial enough for dinner
Cocktail bar, afternoon tea - haven't tried it yet
Greens Restaurant, in the golf club, really nice food at good prices (imho!)
Golf Clubhouse bar, smaller menu than Greens with a few snacky things too,
Spike, coffee shop, handy for a light lunch
Pub, carvery lunch, not sure about evenings
Sol Oriens, Italian restaurant with decent well-priced food.

They do a "Heritage Break" for €170 per person sharing which is 1 night B&B & dinner in one of the restaurants.

I have no connection with The Heritage (but I can dream, can't I? ;) )

If going for the Heritage break with dinner in one of the restaurants, which would you suggest? ie if meal wasnt included I'd go for the Sol Oriens as per above, but if the Arlington Room provides better value for money with regard to the package, I'd plum for that one..

Thanks

S

I haven't actually eaten in the Arlington Room - we were never on a deal including dinner and it was a bit pricy, €12+ for starters and over €30 for mains with desserts over a tenner, but have eaten several times everywhere else there and would definitely choose Sol Oriens (eaten there about 5 times), the food was good and there's a nice atmosphere about the place.

Greens (2 visits) was also good for food but a bit more formal and quieter, the clubhouse bar (have eaten there lots of times) does most of Greens food but in a more relaxed atmosphere. I would prefer the Slieve Bloom and the pub for lunchtimes.

Back