sugar tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2017-10-10_14-8-37.png

Question - was there any mention of this applying to alcoholic beverages?

In the UK - and my understanding is that we are introducing this in parallel to them - the following criteria were noted:
  • Pure fruit juices will be exempt as they do not carry added sugar, while drinks with a high milk content will also be exempt because of their calcium content.
  • Alcoholic drinks with an alcohol by volume of up to 1.2 per cent are included in the levy although some of these drinks will be exempt.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-child-weight-gain-fizzy-drinks-a7618316.html

Unintended consequences for Type 1 diabetic children like my son. We have tins of sugary 7up everywhere so we have 100mls handy to treat low blood sugar.

Maybe they will spend the sugar tax on modernising the glucose monitoring available on the long term illness scheme so we don't have to fork out €60 a fortnight for a sensor for his digital glucose monitor. Here's hoping....

Hello,

I would like any beverages that are to be taxed, to also carry some form of extremely visible "health warning" or other obvious symbol or colouring on the bottle or can (much in the same way as tobacco carries a health warning).

Make it nice and easy for the consumer to tell which drinks are taxed and have significant sugar, and which ones do not.

After all, this is for our health and not just to bring in more tax ... right ? :)

I can't understand why drinks like orange need to be sweetened with 10g sugar - I don't put sugar on my peeled orange.
What would coke taste like with no sugar ( or the unknown added alternative in coke zero). What would real coke taste like with say only 3g of sugar/100ml ?

....I presume that some of them will reduce their sugar to below the 5gm and 8 gm threshold.

Brendan

I hope they all do Mr. Burgess, but odds are some will not.

Mixers for alcoholic beverages have the potential to hit consumers hard.

In truth I don't think I'd notice the difference between a ginger ale or tonic water with a lower sugar content. Hopefully the pubs will make the effort and source the lower sugar options, rather than just go for the lazy option and stick up the prices (along with a little extra for themselves), then conveniently blame the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back