Sugar 1kg exactly €1.19 in all the large supermarkets ?

Discussion in 'Supermarket shopping' started by RichInSpirit, Oct 13, 2017.

1. RichInSpirit

RichInSpirit Frequent Poster

1kg of the cheapest available sugar is exactly €1.19 almost perpetually in all the large supermarkets.
    Occasionally I get 1kg of sugar in a Gem pack in tiny grocery stores and petrol stations for €1.
    It looks like price fixing by the large supermarkets.

2. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

3. RichInSpirit

RichInSpirit Frequent Poster

Thanks Redonion !

4. Monbretia

Monbretia Frequent Poster

It's in Mr Price for I think 78 or 79c, bought a load of them last week :) Iceland also do a 4 or 5kg bag, can't remember exactly but it works out at euro per kilo. Also you can get kilo + 10% or thereabouts in Dealz.

Doesn't answer the question about price fixing in main supermarkets I know but it is available cheaper elsewhere.

5. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

I drew this to the attention of Sinéad Ryan the consumer correspondent of the Indo. and she replied as follows:

Sugar (all of which we import) is considered a KVI in retail (known valued item) ... therefore affected by price sensitivity, like milk, bread etc.
    That said, I'd be looking for evidence it actually is the same price everywhere (unlikely in convenience stores, for example) - but known that major supermarkets price off each other on basic basket of goods, while reserving profit margins for branded goods.

MrEarl likes this.
  6. Monbretia

I buy it for business purposes so am always looking for the best deal and it is the same price in the main supermarkets. In fact in the main supermarkets I usually buy caster sugar as that is often cheaper and does the same job.

The price varies widely if you are looking at convenience/independent stores though, I never buy there except my local one does a special offer sometimes of euro per kg bag. They are all different brands obviously in the shops but I have never noticed any difference in quality for example, sugar is just sugar!

7. grenzgebiet

grenzgebiet Frequent Poster

Got caster sugar yesterday in Lidl - €1.09/kg

8. Monbretia

4kg bags in Iceland are good value too.