Sue an Executor for not producing accounts

rockofages

Can an Executor be sued for not producing accounts, even if they have completely dispersed the estate to the beneficiaries?

My uncle passed away two years ago and left his son as Executor. One of the beneficiaries (the troublesome one!) is continually threatening legal action via his solicitor. This beneficiary held up the administration of the estate by not submitting necessary paperwork, but now that the estate has been distributed the threats of legal action are because the accounts are not forthcoming as quickly as they would like.

I was an Executor myself and came across many complications, but not this one. My view on it would be that there are no grounds for action as there has been no material loss to anyone.

So far as I know, there isn't a clear legal requirement for an Executor to produce accounts.

That said, I think it is good practice to do so, and without undue delay. Each residual beneficiary has some reasonable right to know how his or her share of the residue was calculated.

Back