Submitting a Form 11 using ROS for the first time

Andarma

I am using ROS for the first time, to submit a Form 11. I have rental income - in previous years I submitted a Form 12, but Revenue told me last that year that I was now a mandatory e-filer and so I have to use ROS this year.

Anyway, I have registered and input all the relevant details, and it has calculated my liability for 2016. No issue with any of this. The bit I'm confused about is the sign and submit page. It asks me for figures for 'income preliminary tax 2017' and for 'income tax balancing amount 2016'.

Am I right that the amount for 2016 is the calculated liability that was done automatically by ROS? I have never paid preliminary tax before - do I have to pay 100% of the liability for 2016 as preliminary tax for 2017? Will ROS keep a record of preliminary tax paid?

Yes -- the amount for 2016 is the amount of your liability that ROS calculated.

For your preliminary tax you have a choice of paying 100% of last year's tax or 90% of your own calculation of this year's tax. Yes, ROS will keep track of the preliminary tax paid, but it won't (afaik) automatically enter it on next year's Form 11. When you get to your 2017 return next year, you will subtract the preliminary tax paid for this year from the liability calculated by ROS and that will become the 'income tax balancing amount 2017'.

Note that you don't have to hand over any money until the due date of October 31st and indeed, because you are filing electronically you get an extension to November 10th. If you want you can submit the Form 11 and opt not to pay any money right now -- the option is on the final screen when you sign and submit. You can then use ROS later to make a payment against your liability before the due date. In other words, filing and paying don't have to be done at the same time.

You will be able to see all your submissions and payments via the ROS search screens later.

It’s that time of year again, and I did my Form 11 today. Something went wrong after I did the sign and submit, when I was doing the payment - I got an error message about my email (I think). It dumped me out of ROS, and when I went back in, I went to the ‘work in progress’ section, but it was empty. It seems that my return was filed, but I definitely didn’t make the payment and I can’t see how I can do it. Anyone any ideas?

Back