Student + Work + Entitlements

rosswind

Hi all,
I have a complicated question which those of you in the know may be able to shed some light on.
I'm 34 and recently finished a degree in June 09. Whilst in college I started full time employment from April 08. Part of the course was continuous work placement which I managed to get as paid work.
I have been working ever since doing an average of 3 days per week but paid weekly as if full time.
My question is: Am I now entitled to a payment based on the days that I don't work as I have now been employed for over 2 years?
Means testing is a no-no as my wife earns approx. 55,000.
I currently earn between 15,000-20,000 per annum.
Any enlightenment would be great.

Your question is a bit baffling. When you were working whilst in college you were working for three days which would be classed as part-time. It doesn't matter how you got paid, you still only worked p/t. Why do you think that because you have been working for over two years that you should be entitled to a Payment? From your post I understand your still in employment so why would you need to claim benefits? Perhaps there is something you left out or maybe I'm not getting the full picture. Enlighten me!

Are you in full-time employment or not? You state you are 'in full-time employment from April 08', then state you are working an 'average of three days a week'? You also enquire about SW 'based on the days that I don't work'.

1.Are you looking for work for the days that you are not employed

2.Have you suffered some loss of income that you need to replace with work or benefit

Sorry about the confusion. When I said I've been working full time I guess I meant every week on average 3 days per week. My basic query is whether I should be signing on for the days that I don't work (which were the days I was in college). A friend had mentioned that as I work 3 days maybe I could be entitled to some sort of social welfare payment for the two days not working. If having a part-time job excludes me from any such payment then so be it.
The reason I mentioned the two years working was because I noticed in another thread that you are assessed on the previous years working to avoid being means tested:(!
Also is it just better to be registered somewhere to explain what I have been doing for the other two days (minding my twins!) and that I am available for work should it become available?
I've probably just caused more confusion.......

You would have to be available for work on the days you were not working; you say you were at college those days so no JB/JA entitlement

The liklihood is that you would not be entitled to JB on the PRSI contributions you refer to because you have not not suffered a substantial loss of employment.

Hi rosswind

I think it would be in your interest to email the social welfare website with your query. They will get back to you. You may well be entitled to something. We are not experts in the area and I wouldn't like to see someone missing out through wrong advice. Good Luck

I doubt SW will be able to give a definitive answer by way of email, Tessi.

The only way Rosswind is going to find out for certain is to make a claim for JB and get a decision. Its highly unlikely he will qualify, though.

Hi Milic

NO he won't get a definite answer but I just thought perhaps they could advise him. I also doubt if he'll be entitled to anything but stranger things have happened and God loves a trier!

Back