student son and moving to ireland

sherchar

my dad is living in Scotland with my brother (17) who is still at school and going to uni in sept in scotland. He wants to move back to Ireland but although my brother agrees to moving too he still wants to remain in scotland for uni (coming home at weekends and holidays) my dad is currently on disability allowance due to a many health problems.

Does anyone know how this works in regards to benefits and things? I know my dad will probably get DA but will he qualify for child benefit if my brother goes to scotland all week to study (planning on living at my uncles during term time) and are there any other things he should know?

Many thanks

I would have thought that your dad would get Child Benefit from Ireland if he is living here. There are plenty of reports of people from Poland etc getting Child Benefit here while the children are still in Poland. Either way - if he doesn't get it here the UK child Ben could probably continue. (It will end in June/July anyway whichever country pays it )

If your dad can satisfy a means test ,child benifit may be claimed up to age 22 yrs if the child is in full time education ,also your brother may get a grant from the appropriate county council in ireland to attend university in scotland subject to a means test. contact your local VEC office for further information.

If your dad can satisfy a means test ,child benifit may be claimed up to age 22 yrs if the child is in full time education

This is not correct. Yopu can only get CB up to eighteen years of age adn means testing is not done.

However, if CB is not payable to another person (i.e. mother), then it can be claimed up to 18 years of age.

Disability Allowance is payable if the illness is long-term and the claimant satisfys a means test. Also, if his son is considered as "normally resident" here (see http://www.welfare.ie/foi/depsqc.html#defqc ), adn is adependent of your father, he (father) can claim ann increase for him on DA. See www.welfare.ie for more info.

Child Benefit payable until 19th birthday as long as child is in full-time education?

http://www.welfare.ie/schemes/families/cb.html

"a child aged 16, 17 or 18
- who is in full-time education, or
- is attending a FÁS YOUTHREACH course, or
- is physically or mentally disabled and dependent on you.
Child Benefit ceases when the child reaches age 19."

Back