Strict in/out dates for holiday houses

HMC

This morning I was looking at a holiday rental property on selfcatering.ie.

Was very keen until I noticed the stipulation that during high season (over Easter), rental is only permitted from Saturday to Saturday.

Why must owners be so inflexible. I would have thought a degree of latitude would be essential considering the state the country is in.

This should probably go in Letting off Steam but...

I find this when trying to rent in France all the time. Generally it is the French owners who are inflexible so I generally look for Irish or U.K. owners who recognise that half a loaf is better than no loaf at all. Another thing that bugs me is when you are asked to bring your own linen and towels. If I am going on a cheapo (used to be cheapo) Ryanair flight with just carry on I am certainly not going to bring my own linen.
It is also amazing the number of people that will not respond to an enquiry even though they are paying to have their properties listed.

Was very keen until I noticed the stipulation that during high season (over Easter), rental is only permitted from Saturday to Saturday.

We generally holiday in self-catering in Ireland and Sat to Sat is the norm. I understand it from the owner's point of view.

We've booked a place in Cork for the last week of July, finishing on the Saturday of the August holiday weekend. If we wanted to stay on 'til the bank holiday Monday, then the owners would have to hope for someone wanting to check in on a Monday. That's unlikely.

I have been going on self catering holidays every year in Ireland for 20 years now.

It is the norm that self catering houses are available for rent on a weekyl basis, with a defined check-in day.

It is the only way that an owner can ensure that they can rent it every week of the season, and the summer season is quite short.

However, it is unusual not to allow a long weekend at Easter. I have done it loads of times.

Have you tried contacting the owners and asking about this?

I would not be put off by information on a website which may not be accurate.

Why must owners be so inflexible. I would have thought a degree of latitude would be essential considering the state the country is in.

The whole world over rental during peak periods is Sat to Sat. You couldn't run a business in the way you propose, it is not owners who are being inflexible but you.

Lots of Holiday Rentals will be flexible. I have rented mid week to midweek. There is always someone available to pick up the odd days. It is up to the owner to decide and do the maths.

A family member has a property which they let out on this basis and it is also done Sat - Sat, mid week is not possible for them as they have to be there to hand over the keys, and clean the property before the next let, Sun - Sun on occasion has happened but if it was mid week they would have to take time off work the first week to be there to hand over the keys and the second week to take them back, would mean its not viable as a business on that basis

This morning I was looking at a holiday rental property on selfcatering.ie.

This should probably go in Letting off Steam but...

I have a house booked at Sandycove Beach Villas Rosscarbery over Easter , the owner has let us use it for family coming to stay from Wed - Wed , the details of that house are on [broken link removed] I am sure there are 2 of them there . So why not find an owner that will do a week like that

I've just booked an apt in Wales, Sat to Sat, in peak summer season. Believe it or not, a lot of properties there insist on Fri to Fri bookings. I never heard of that before!

As other posters have said, it's up to individual property owners to decide whether they can optimise their bookings by insisting on a fixed turnover day.

Personally, I think it's foolish to insist on Saturday to Saturday for properties in Spain or Portugal as flights tend to be more expensive at weekends and it's better to be flexible, provided you have someone onsite who's looking after the property on changeover and who is flexible about timing. You may end up with a few days gap here and there, but that's hardly the end of the world.

Homer

Back