Street Lights

hearthway

We moved into a small cul de sac of five houses about 2 years ago the street lights are up and ready but as yet have not been turned on or the final road surface finished 2 of the houses are owner occupied the other 3 rented one of them by the builder we have asked the builder but just get fobbed off could anyone advise of the best course of action to take as it is very dark and makes it easy for a burgler

Regards

Cathy

Get onto the planning office and see what the story is. The builder will have lodged a bond with the planning office in relation to lighting/tarring etc.

He probably has a time limit to do this work. If he fails to do the work he will lose his bond and Council will use it to complete the work. A visit to your local TD or Councillor wouldn't do any harm either. If all houses are completed he has no excuse about finishing off the area.

Keeping your street lights once you get them is another matter. Our cul de sac has ten lights and since last September when the first one failed we have been trying to to get it and the others which have failed since then fixed, at this stage only five are working. I and others have made numerous phone calls to the relevant department of the ESB but to no avail even though I was promised on two occassions that they would be fixed within ten working days and one of those promises was made by the local supervisor for our area. Is there anything else we can do?

Rose; are you logging the pole number with the ESB? they have a dedicated public lighting number I think its 1850 372 372. ESB do this work on behalf of the local authority so maybe make a written complaint to them

Yes, I and others have logged the pole numbers with the ESB and they still have not fixed them and now another light is not working. Its hard to believe that it can take four months to get street lighting fixed. Maybe they are waiting for "green bulbs" !!!

Last edited:
Maybe if you pay maintenance on the care of the estate, you could tell the builder that you are considering either not paying or not paying the full amount until the problem is rectified and get the other houses to petition this with you.

I spoke to the lighting section in my local county council and they told me that sometimes it is possible to take lighting in-charge before the big taking-in-charge. It might be worthwhile to get a local councillor on the case as they will be looking for votes soon.

Have lived here for over twenty years and dont pay maintainance to anyone and never have. Generally speaking we keep our estate clean or my other half and a neighbour also retired do most of the cleaning up and unfortunately they cant do anything about the public lighting otherwise it would be fixed long ago.

Back