straw made logs for solid fuel fires

sophie

Has anybody tried the straw made logs for solid fuel open fires or stoves?
They are called "strogs" and made in Ireland.

I haven't heard of those but they are very expensive. Would they not just evapourate in the heat of multi fuel stove,our logs aren't lasting at all. put in one, 15 minutes later just ash. can't keep logs in our house, so I would say 'strogs' can't be any better.

@Abbica, if the logs won't last in your multi-fuel stove, then I suspect it hasn't been built or set-up properly as a wood-burner.

Properly dried wood used as fuel in a proper wood-burning stove requires a less aggressive air-flow than other solid fuels (peat briquettes, turf, coal) to burn and thus the grid or grille at the bottom of the fire-box has less holes than normal. Some multi-fuel stoves can be adapted with a specially-designed "plate" that goes on top of the grille.

They seem very expensive to me. Scroll down in here to get the price of the strogs and then click on more information where we are told " Moreover, in monetary terms strogs are approx 20% cheaper then coal " . At €2.70 per 5 kg that's €21.60 per 40kg !!! Is anyone on here paying €21.60 for a 40kg bag of coal? I'm not nor anything like it tbh.

I saw the Strogs on the RTE programme Higher Ground a few weeks ago. The guy manufacturing the strogs used to work on the family farm but decided to diversify and make straw briquettes to be used as fuel. He is hoping to have the products available in Tesco and Dunnes Stores. The best of luck to him I hope his venture works out and I will certainly try the Strogs the next time i see them in the supermarket.

There are a variety of wood products on the market this year . Apart from wood briquettes , there are also other new products like , Kiln-Dried Logs and Air-Dried Logs .

Below is a website with some of them . If you happen to be in Woodies , enquire , as they sell some of these , and others too .

They will all claim that their products are long-lasting in stoves and great value for money . You can decide .

I saw the Strogs on the RTE programme Higher Ground a few weeks ago. The guy manufacturing the strogs used to work on the family farm but decided to diversify and make straw briquettes to be used as fuel. He is hoping to have the products available in Tesco and Dunnes Stores. The best of luck to him I hope his venture works out and I will certainly try the Strogs the next time i see them in the supermarket.

Yes I saw that programme and they look like a decent product. I will give them a go if I see them.

Back