Straps for Strapless Dress

Happy Girl

I have a wedding coming up soon and have bought a beautiful strapless dress for it. I am trying to source a set of brown detachable straps for it. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to where I might get them. Have tried local Singer Sewing shop but all I could get was brown ribbon. Basically I am looking for something similar to a bra strap (or a bit dressier if possible) to attach to the dress.

Just an idea but have you looked at maybe using jewellery. You might get a necklace that you could modify to use or even a chain with some ribbon threaded thru it.

Try hickeys they are v.good for that type of thing they do lots of trimmings & things like that you could use.

J

You could try getting a brown multi-way bra with removable straps and using these.

Is there enough excess material in the hem that you could ask a dressmaker to make and fit the straps? - they would be a perfect match.

Not trying to be awkward but just wondering if the dress will lend itself to straps if its meant to be a strapless dress? You may well find that you go to quite a lot of expense to get straps and then they don't look right at all and this may well be the case if they're not the same material as the dress.

I would be inclined to get advice from a dressmaker. You could try asking in City Tailors in Mary Street, Dublin 1. They do alterations etc. and might be able to give advice.

Trimmings on Liffey Street beside the Woolen Mills is another place that's handy for sewing gear.

Thanks a mil for all responses and suggestions. Just want the straps for added security and to avoid any embarassing situation:eek:. Would just feel more comfortable with them. Idea of brown straps from multiway bra sound good as will be wearing very lacy bolero over it. Anyone seen any multiways with brown straps? Located in Meath but Blanchardstown not a million miles away.

Hi Happygirl,

Bra straps may be very obviously bra straps which may take from the dress. You could try dazzle straps or something similar which might look prettier (listed under best sellers on above site).

Last edited:
Thanks a mil for all responses and suggestions. Just want the straps for added security and to avoid any embarassing situation:eek:. Would just feel more comfortable with them. Idea of brown straps from multiway bra sound good as will be wearing very lacy bolero over it. Anyone seen any multiways with brown straps? Located in Meath but Blanchardstown not a million miles away.

If you are wearing a bolero over it could you not use the clear straps that come with some tops or bras. Can't remember where exactly I've seen them but they would seem the best option to me.

If you just want to avoid doing a "Janet Jackson" at the wedding, you can get body tape to fix the dress to yourself.

There's a thread on the subject on weddingsonline.ie. Posters there said it's available in Debenhams, Oasis, Claire's Accessories and Hickeys.

If you just want to avoid doing a "Janet Jackson" at the wedding, you can get body tape to fix the dress to yourself.

There's a thread on the subject on weddingsonline.ie. Posters there said it's available in Debenhams, Oasis, Claire's Accessories and Hickeys.

It is also available in the Singer shop in Navan. I bought it there for my niece who got married in Dec.2006 and needed it to fix her wedding dress in place.
I think the clear straps might be your best option. I know I got a set of them as well as a white set with a strapless bra I bought some time ago.

I think the clear straps might be your best option. I know I got a set of them as well as a white set with a strapless bra I bought some time ago.

Maybe I'm all alone in my opinion here but i think clear straps are awful. They are totally visible and look a little ridiculous. You would be much better wearing the brown or just going into a fabric shop and buying a little fabric to get some made. It shouldnt be hard to find a fabric which would match in.

Maybe I'm all alone in my opinion here but i think clear straps are awful. They are totally visible and look a little ridiculous. You would be much better wearing the brown or just going into a fabric shop and buying a little fabric to get some made. It shouldnt be hard to find a fabric which would match in.

I wouldn't like them either but under a lace bolero they would probably not be visible.

I really think that at some stage the straps will show and will ruin the look. From the bolero not staying in place or simply from turning to the side etc. You don't want to spend the evening tugging and adjusting to keep everything in place (or you might as well go with the strapless bra altogether). Getting a piece of matching fabric and having temporary straps added to the dress will look a lot better than having any bra straps on display. The only other suggestion I can think of is to wear something like a body stocking with an inbuilt corset (if its made from material similar to spanx material it should stay in place).

La senza have very strong body tape, otherwise marks and spencers do the detachable bra straps in packets

Thanks folks got sorted out. Walked into Penneys last week and new brown bras in with very pretty detachable straps (but not obvious that they from a bra). Did a job on the dress myself and will be belle of the ball (well I live in the hope :)). Agree with the previous opinions on clear plastic straps. Never a fan of them myself. Sometimes a dusting of make up powder can take the severe sheen off them and they tone in a little better with the skin. But again thanks for all suggestions.

Back