Strange Excel Problem

• Thread starter cullenswood
  • Start date
C

cullenswood

Hi,

When I open an excel document on my PC it works fine most of the times, but recently, I have been experiencing a strange problem. When I click on a cell, and then move the mouse (without holding down either button) the cells get highlighted as if I was holding down the left button. No matter where I move the mouse, the cells that it is moved over get highlighted. Once this happens I have no option but to Alt-F4 the program, as no other buttons will work. This is not happening with any other Office applications so I fairly sure its not a problem with my mouse. Has this happened to anyone else?

I am using Windows 2000 with Excel 2000

excel

I seen this once many moons ago. One of the shift buttons was stuck on the keyboard. Can you prise off the buttons, refit and see if that clears it?
Its probably not that, but something to try anyway.

Re: excel

is your mouse one of those wheel jobs? I had a problem like this once because in a hurry I was accidently depressing the wheel while selecting cells causing the app to hang.

also is it a very big work book with lots of calcs and links?

ajapale

Thanks for the sugestions but I dont think its the shift button, or else all my letter WOULD BE IN CAPITAL wouldn't they?

And no my mouse is not one of the wheel ones and no it is all Excel Documents, even ones with no calculations in them.

Check your mouse settings in Controll panel to see if the Clicklock checkbox is on. Its an option that allows you to not hold down the left button when drag 'n drop use. Probably not the issue as you would notice this elsewhere but worth a look.

No Clicklock checkbox under the settings!

EXCEL PROB

ive seen this loads of times on diff versions of excel . not sure what the cause is but in all cases it went away after a while. a reboot might sort it quickly

Re: EXCEL PROB

Yeah, it doesn't happen every day, but is quite annoying the days it does happen

Shift key

Bit unfair and smart to car there!

Quote:

Thanks for the sugestions but I dont think its the shift button, or else all my letter WOULD BE IN CAPITAL wouldn't they?

Wrong - because if the caps lock is on and the shift key is stuck - all your letter would be in lowercase!

And I am sure you meant to say:
1 - suggestions NOT sugestions
2 - shift key NOT shift button

msart rase!

Re: Shift key

Easy Mr Soprano!!

I wasn't trying to be smart with car, just thought that that is what would happen if the shift key was stuck, and using the font to make my point.

Apologies car if I offended you

insulted

thanks for defending my honour T. I knew C wasnt trying to be insulting. its alright. <sniffle> I'll sit quietly over here for a bit. Just me and my shift key.

see here for a similar problem wth suggestions to fix INCLUDING THE STUCK KEY BIT.

Back