Storm Survival Kit ~ suggestions please

PaddyBloggit

After losing power until last night and being very lucky to have had a few candles around, it's put me thinking about having a 'Storm Survival Kit' in place.

My list:
  • Candles
  • Oil Lamps
  • Solar powered lamps
  • Batteries
  • Battery powered radio
  • Gas ring
  • A whistling kettle
  • A small generator
Any suggestions (within reason)?

Storms are annual events in the US.
All cities & states run "be prepared" or "no plan is not a plan" campaigns - even cities that are rarely affected.
Links below highlights what you'd need to survive a week in isolation. It's mainly water & food & power but also stuff you wouldn't think of - placing docs in sealed plastic bags, matches or lighters in sealed bags, medication etc

[broken link removed]

FEMA list (PDF)
[broken link removed]

NY State site
https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/emergency/weather/hurricane/

• Battery candles - real candles may be dangerous if windows blow in. Close your blinds/curtains to prevent injuries from flying glass.
  • Bottles of Water for drinking wash up and toilets
  • Money - in case the ATMs go down for a few days. Cash is king!
  • Petrol/diesel in the car
  • Non-perishable foods
  • Some frozen water bottles in the freezer to keep it cold
  • First-aid kit

Marion

.... placing docs in sealed plastic bags, matches or lighters in sealed bags, medication etc

Great list Andy836. I'll be reading for a good while and adapting to suit

The last few days without power brought me back to the time when the period around Christmas Day was effectively lock down - no shops open, big shop in and dig in for the long haul.

For my holiday home - a gas cooker in the shed for cooking is on the list.

The next time my kids are off school for 2 days because of windy weather,all I'll need is a large pinch of salt to take with the forecast.

If any family member is on prescription medication, make sure they always have at least 1 week's worth at home.

A power bank so you can give your phone or tablet a once off recharge:
[broken link removed]

Long Life\UHT milk.

Back