Storage heaters to Smart Electric heaters?

Haille

Just wondering if anybody has made the switch from storage electric heaters to smart electric heaters. Are the smart electric heaters more expensive to run? I have 2 old storage heaters in a holiday apartment. One of them may need replacing. Just wondered if I should switch? .

I have installed energy efficient electric heaters, costs 6c per panel, per hour to run.
Based on SQM you need to heat, a small room would need a 4 panel unit.

I also have a wood burning stove that I can cook on.
On a winters eve, I can have the stove going, casserole bubbling away on top, vension steak that I have hunted myself.

Last edited:
What do you mean by smart electric heaters?

Storage heaters charge overnight and gradually release that heat over the course of the day. In many cases that doesn't suit the lifestyles of the inhabitants who are not home during the day and only require a boost at night. In those cases on-demand electric heating may cost less, but all energy consumed will be at the day rate, and not the night rate as is usually the case with storage heating.

I've seen both storage and non-storage heaters labelled as 'smart electric' so I was curious as to whether the OP had a specific manufacturer or model in mind.

The report you linked is really interesting, but might require more advantageous smart energy plans here to really make sense at a consumer level.

I was thinking of changing from 2 storage heaters both minimum 15 years old to electric heaters which can be controlled by wi fi as I live 80 km from the property.

I was thinking of changing from 2 storage heaters both minimum 15 years old to electric heaters which can be controlled by wi fi as I live 80 km from the property.
Might be an option to keep the heaters you have but power them from a smart supply of some sort, so you can turn them on/off remotely? The likes of the Philips Hue Smartplug is rated for 2.8kW for example. Or if they’re hardwired something like this might do the job - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Universal-Automation-Assistant-Compatible/dp/B06WWNBD3Y/ref=asc_df_B06WWNBD3Y/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256110712503&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12559220805502028595&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9047193&hvtargid=pla-420324200333&psc=1. You just need to be sure whichever smart switch/relay you go for is suitable for the maximum current the heater can draw.

You probably could go for something like Technotherm that have partial storage heating via tablets rather than the traditional brick - best of both worlds.
Depends what your use case is - assuming if you are 80km away you want to trigger heating before you get there? Or just frost prevention?

You probably could go for something like Technotherm that have partial storage heating via tablets rather than the traditional brick - best of both worlds.
Depends what your use case is - assuming if you are 80km away you want to trigger heating before you get there? Or just frost prevention?
Thanks

Back