Stopping grass coming through patio

Luckycharm

Hope someone can help me, I got a patio laid a couple of months ago, little bits of gress is starting to come up between the cracks- is there anything I can put down to stop this happening?

There is stuff called pathclear which is pretty good but it takes a while to work. Needs to be applied about every 6 months.

For a quick result, try 3 hour weedkiller.

Roundup is pretty good as well, and will kill everything it touches.

Round up works well.....too well. My OH decided to takle the patio & literally threw it onto the patio from a bucket. All my plants & grass that lined the patio were history (well, except the nasty green, woody plant that I never like....sods law!!)

No weeds, mind !

Round up works well.....too well. My OH decided to takle the patio & literally threw it onto the patio from a bucket. All my plants & grass that lined the patio were history (well, except the nasty green, woody plant that I never like....sods law!!)

No weeds, mind !

I'd question why the weeds are coming through? If done right, they shouldnt. What sort of sub base was used? Head over to paving expert website for more background on such construction

It is not weeds it is just little bits of grass, I think when I cut the grass some mud and cut grass has got between the bricks I can pull them out easy just want to stop it happening.

Round up works well.....too well. My OH decided to takle the patio & literally threw it onto the patio from a bucket.

Got to admit I've never seen those instructions on a container of roundup ! :D. To the op I've had paving down for ten years or so and the only practical way imo of dealing with weeds /grass coming through is spray a few times a year with Round up.

I'd question why the weeds are coming through? If done right, they shouldnt. What sort of sub base was used? Head over to paving expert website for more background on such construction

you could get grass/small weeds growing even in the sand that was used to point the slabs. might not be coming through the base

Or - and I am not being facetious - you could learn to love the grass. You still have a paved surface on which you can disport yourself on barbeque evenings, but it is not 'dead' in the way that a pristine tarmac\concrete patio is.

I recently saw a newspaper article where one of the planning authorities (or possibly an independent architect) was making the point that the multiplicity of tarred or paved front gardens is adding to the risk of flooding, and that we are going to have to see a move toward more absorbent surface treatments. He suggested a return to gravel - but there are plenty of other options. I imagine that patio type paving, which allows drainage between the slabs, is definitely more environmentally friendly (and I am speaking of the urban environment).

I have seen pictures of carparks paved with a product called 'grasscrete' - see www.grasscrete.com It seems to me that the unkempt looking surface which this produces is one we should learn to love.

Back