Stop draught from fusebox

jeananne

Hi. We have a problem with a draught from the fusebox in our utility. The house is 11 years old, detached and had extra insulation pumped into the walls and attic. The utility is always the coldest room in the house due, I believe, to this draught
My question : is it safe/acceptable to cover the fusebox with a layer of bubble wrap to stop this draught ?

I'd be inclined to use a strip of draught excluder like the one shown in the following link:

Draught Excluder Strip

Just line it along the inside of the fusebox door for a tight seal.

Any good D.I.Y. store should have it.

Thanks Paddy, but the draught comes through the entire front of the box where the rows of trip switches are so I need to seal the entire front.
A few years ago we tried some of the expanding foam spray to to do the perimeter edges but that was a bad idea 'cos an electrician spent ages, trying to access the box and eventually had to crack the cover to get it off !
I put on the bubble wrap last night, secured lightly with duct tape, and I really feel it has made a difference I'm just a little unsure of the safety of using it...

Can you not deal with the source of the draft on the outside? Dealing with that will be far more effective.

I have looked in the ESB box on the outside of the house...there are no apparent gaps and I can see some of the beading from the pumped cavity wall insulation nice and snug around the 3 wires entering the house.
The ESB meter itself is mounted on a sheet of plyboard, it sounds hollow behind that - I might try sealing around the plyboard and adding some insulation inside the box leaving a gap for the meter reader.
I can't think of any other place where air would enter to exit at a fusebox ?

Back