stone facing house

*rose

we are going to stone face our house and are in the process of sending out plans to get quotes for this. we are looking for a dark grey limestone and are living in co. waterford. the only places we seem to be able to find it are way up the country, manor stone etc. just wondering if there is anything close to home??? thanks!!

No real suitable quarries in the waterford area. You can get yellow sandstone alright....pleanty of that around.

I got a some nice building stone from Liscannor in Clare. They'll deliver....but it is expensive - €38sq/yard + delivery. It's worth it though if that's what your looking for.....I'm very happy with mine.

Ardfert Quarries in North Kerry also sell this grey stone. They don't allow you to pick it AFAIK, so you have to pay for a lorry load of unpicked stone...which could be up to 20% rubble. Plus don't know if they would even deliver it as far as that. A lot cheaper than Liscannor, but as I said, unpicked. Our stonemason said he would never work with it again as it was difficult to pick and shape etc.

I would suggest you get whoever you hire to do the work to suggest a stone supplier. An experienced stonemason will have a preference for the type of stone/supplier he works with. There is no point in supplying him with stone that he feels is difficult to work with. To much oppertunity for excuses :)

As a rule of thumb you should really be using the stone that is available in your area, granite would look wrong on a house built in a limestone area etc. Patrick McAfee discusses this in his books.....

thanks a million for all your replies.

i know the condition of using local stone, but as far as i can tell the local stone isn't used on house fronts, just road walls. we are looking for a dark grey limestone with a yellow sandstone mix. thanks for the suggestion of asking stonemason, we havent got one lined up so better get onto that next!

thanks for all your help!

Hi,

Im looking for a price for some facing stone for my house i know of Fernhill and Century Stone but was looking to see if there is anybody else around that does it, or is the market sown up by these two leaders in the market. It'll be the stick on style of stone, one that looks good up.

Back