Stolen car

sambavan16

Hi Guys,
i would highly appreciate if you guide me in this difficult time. My car was stolen over the weekend and i have reported to the Gardai and the insurance have given me a car for next 2 weeks. Please guide me what i am i suppose to do next. Insurance has informed me that I have to wait for 2 weeks before they talk about settlement. Also my car was due for NCT and which i didn't do it because i was about to get a new car. its just over a month at this stage. i lost all the documents in the car and have applied for registration certificate. I am dealing straight with insurance company. No Brokers. I have already send my incident claim form to my insurance.

1) Will i have an impact on "car valuation because of over due NCT'?

2) What will be the realistic time for settlement in Ireland?

3) will it impact my new insurance?

4) My insurance is due in July. Should I revenue it till the settlement happens?

Sorry fully confused.

Many Thanks

S

1) Will i have an impact on "car valuation because of over due NCT'?
Yes, I imagine that the assessor would take that into account.

2) What will be the realistic time for settlement in Ireland?
I'm only familiar with one example. A crashed into B. A's assessor was on the scene 2 days later, A's insurer made an offer 2 days after that, and a cheque was in the post maybe a week after that. That's the best case scenario - "sometime next month" is probably the best you can hope for, assuming the car isn't found alive (you're probably better off if it isn't).

3) will it impact my new insurance?
Afaik for most policies, fire and theft claims don't count against your no claims bonus. You'd have to check your own policy to be sure.

4) My insurance is due in July. Should I revenue it till the settlement happens?
Check with them, but I don't think it's necessary to renew. The car was insured when the loss happened, so the insurer is on the hook regardless of what happens to the policy in the future.

Trasneoir. Thanks for the reply.

sorry to bother you. Whats should i do next in this process. do i need to wait till 14 days and contact insurance or will insurance contacts me in the due course?

please answer

thanks
S

You're going to have to read the policy wording and see what it determines as the time required for the car to be considered gone. i.e. some insurers are 14 days, some are 30 days. FYI if its 30 days the likelihood is you won't get any courtesy car beyond the initial 14 days so you should probably get shopping for that new car now.

You probably went direct to save yourself the 40 odd quid a broker would charge and then you're out asking questions here and some people wonder why one should use a broker. :rolleyes:

How old is car? How out of date is NCT? How long are you insured with your current insurer? have you had any previous claims? These will all cause lights to flash in insurer. The fact that you are considering not renewing will also raise a flag.

Ask if not renewing until you get a replacement car will impact on your NCB in any way.

Back