Stock dividend taxations

barbaros

A quick question, for the dividends gathered from ESPP related stocks, even though the broker deducts 15% tax, do I still have to pay tax to Ireland? If yes is it the usual 33% CGT or is it based on your tax bracket and goes up like 52% if you are on high tax bracket? Also, do I have to report the tax deducted from the dividends by the broker in my Form 11?

Slightly off topic but why is there no tax credit for any tax deducted on UK dividend stocks ?

UK dividends are usually paid gross I think i.e. no DWT, unless its a REIT. Not sure about that example in the revenue link, perhaps if you deduct UK tax, its taxed as UK income and already considered as franked income. It wouldn't be taxed again as Irish income?

It's got to do with the Double Taxation agreement
What has?
It's confusing when people reply to something with no quote for context.

So far we have...
  1. No Irish tax credit for UK DWT - this is from Revenue so it's presumably true?
  2. (Some?) UK dividends are paid gross with no DWT deducted
  3. Irish brokers deduct 25% "encashment" tax on UK dividends

Do you get a credit for the 25% encashment tax. Reason I ask is that i have a couple of UK shares held with Davy.

So far we have...

For your clarity, my contribution was to posit a rationale without conveying any knowledge of solid information which is why I used the words "...I think...", "Not sure about the example...", " ...perhaps..." and also "?" [Question mark].

Yes, you get full credit for the encashment tax or a refund of it if you’ve no tax liability.

Post Brexit, UK dividends are just being treated the same as other foreign dividends.

Back