Stippled Ceiling

Delta

Has anyone any tips on how to make a stippled ceiling look better. (it has had leaks in the past, and bad stippling added on) Its an old house and lots of work to be done but cannot afford to get it plastered, and was wondering if there was a diy answer to this.

Hi Delta, I recently bought a house with stippled ceilings throughout (circa 1980 build). I had a structural survey done and during the survey the engineer pointed out that the stippled ceiling would contain asbestos and that if it was ever to be disturbed, that this would have to be considered by the builder handling and disposing of it. I don't know if this is a common occurrence and I don't know if the DIY you are considering would result in exposure of asbestos, if it were there but it just might be something to bear in mind.

Hi Elginelf, thanks for your reply. Thats the first time I heard of a connection with asbestos, I was hoping there was a product that could be painted over it. But I am just hoping for an easy answer. think I will leave alone for the time being.

No easy answer I'm afraid. You should get a plasterer to quote for a skim coat. It should not be too dear.

Back