Key Post Steps to letting a property oneself?

elainem

Hi! I haven't let my property myself for about ten years due to family and work commitments, and on occasion, issues with distance. However, as the distance issue no longer exists, and my kids are growing up, and as I have had some issues with both my letting agent and tenant, I am going to try and let the place myself. These are the steps I intend to follow, are they correct?

1. Advertise property on daft.ie

2. Ask for/get deposit via bank draft or credit transfer from interested party. Give receipt for same with my contact details.

3. Get work, landlord and bank references.

3. Arrange date to sign Lease, and to do inventory. Ask/get first month's rent in advance via bank draft. Get tenant's pps nos for PRTB form (Do tenants get a copy of the PRTB Form to register tenancy?

Also ensure that Standing Order form has been signed/arranged and forwarded to their Bank - is this correct? I'm not really sure how one ensures the rent is paid via standing order on a particular day.

4. Give keys to tenants, ensure that they know how the heating etc works, and that they have my contact details for emergencies.

Is that it? I would really appreciate advice/comments as I am really nervous about doing the renting myself - though I had no bad experiences doing the renting before.

1. Advertise property on daft.ie
There's also myhome.ie and rent.ie

2. Ask for/get deposit via bank draft or credit transfer from interested party. Give receipt for same with my contact details.

As a tenant I would expect keys at this point.

3. Get work, landlord and bank references.
I have never given/been asked a bank reference. Provide landlord reference to tenant (only joking here, but IMO this should be a requirement)

3. Arrange date to sign Lease, and to do inventory. Ask/get first month's rent in advance via bank draft. Get tenant's pps nos for PRTB form (Do tenants get a copy of the PRTB Form to register tenancy?
Tenants apply separately for rent relieft if thats what youre asking. Have your PPS number ready for this.

Also ensure that Standing Order form has been signed/arranged and forwarded to their Bank - is this correct? I'm not really sure how one ensures the rent is paid via standing order on a particular day.
You dont really, you check that its in your account by the agreed date, having agreed with tenant when rent is due. Maybe they dont want to pay by standing order, you dont need to verify every tiny detail. I pay my rent manually on 25th of the month.

4. Give keys to tenants, ensure that they know how the heating etc works, and that they have my contact details for emergencies.
Again I would have expected keys in exchange for deposit, why not just accept deposit and first months rent on the same day and do all this at once, including inventory etc.?

Is that it? I would really appreciate advice/comments as I am really nervous about doing the renting myself - though I had no bad experiences doing the renting before.

Ensure you have anything required to transfer bills into tenants name ready e.g. im still waiting to transfer electricity into my name two weeks after moving recently as landlord still hasnt given me the account number and ESB refuse to do it just based on the address.

It'll be fine, landlord and tenant both want same thing, house rented and everyone happy.

You forgot to:

Get a BER cert for the property.

Check that the property conforms to the latest Regulations for Housing Standards for rented property.

Download, read and inwardly digest the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (as the laws may have changed since you last rented out a property).

Steps to letting a property oneself

Hi! Username 123 and Facetious - thanks for your replies. Your advice re steps to letting a property was very informative and I am currently following them.

Back