Step by step guide for holders of CRH share certificates

Hi Guys, if a couple as a joint CRH share holders returns a US Tax Certification by paper using the post method, where do we see that return on our USA Computershare profile?

Any response appreciated.

Hi Guys, if a couple as a joint CRH share holders returns a US Tax Certification by paper using the post method, where do we see that return on our USA Computershare profile?

Any response appreciated.
Do you mean a W-8 BEN or something else?

It was a tax form that was sent to us on the 24th of August, we just sent it back to Computershare, I thought reference to this form would be visible on our profile in the Computershare website

I'm trying to help a relative navigate this. They went through the initial registration process on computer share (provided email address, phone number, account recovery question answers) and registered with a User ID and password.

They can log in with this User ID and password, but then arrive at this page as shown in the pic attached. "Confirm your stock" but no stock is shown and there are no options except Cancel and Recover User ID (why?? we're already logged in with the User ID at this point).

Anyone else get stuck at this point?

I saw that the original letter says they'll be sent an authentication code to "finalize and activate" the account. Maybe the online account is in some kind of limbo until then. I've also no idea where that code is supposed to be entered even if they get it.

Any help welcome at this point.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-15 19-33-59.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-15 19-33-59.png
    570 KB · Views: 61
Hi DIP

I helped a friend and experienced the exact same problem. It is very frustrating.

If I recall correctly, you had to identify CRH as the company before inputting the shareholder HAN.

So I started from scratch ignoring the account I had set up.

When I got this stage, I input the CRH HAN

1697451854609.png

Maybe I had omitted that at the first attempt.
But it worked fine at the second attempt but I had to set up a completely new account. (It didn't mind that I had the same email address for both accounts.)

When you have done everything, you will get a note "Thank you for registering, we will now send you a letter with an access code". I assumed that a letter meant a physical yoke in an envelope, but they emailed my friend that evening with it.

Brendan

A couple of more booby traps to look out for.

You get a choice

1697452416991.png

I selected International Wire although I am not familiar with the term. I presume that is the same as an EFT?

They ask for a SWIFT Code.
I input the BIC code here. I assume that is correct.

And when it was all done, it came back with a red message "your bank account details are wrong, please check them/"

So I changed the Account number from IE35Aibk... to IE35AIBK - in other words, using all capital letters and it seemed happy enough.

Brendan

Hi DIP

I helped a friend and experienced the exact same problem. It is very frustrating.
Thanks for the reply....
If I recall correctly, you had to identify CRH as the company before inputting the shareholder HAN.
Oh, do you mean that even though both fields are on the same page of the form and the HAN appears before the company on that page that you must first select CRH as the company then go back up and put in the HAN?

If so I guess my relation can try that on another attempt. Otherwise I've no idea what they did wrong, as I monitored what was already their second attempt to do this and they put in the HAN, selected "not a U.S. resident", selected "CRH - CRH PLC" from the autocomplete etc... they seemed to do everything right from what I could see. The last successful part was receiving the email with confirmation link to click. After that logging in results in getting stuck at the earlier screenshot I provided.

I had assumed that I had not selected CRH on the first attempt.

So I am just assuming that you must make sure to select CRH.

I wonder, on reflection, was there some other pathway into it without mentioning CRH. I seem to have first registered without mentioning CRH. (I tried to replicate it but can't.)

Just try again.

Brendan

I filled in all the details, and got to the “we will send you a verification code” page. It’s almost 2 weeks ago, and I didn’t get the code by email or post. Is anyone else waiting this long?

I now got an email saying that my account is uncertified for US federal tax purposes, despite returning that form back in August.

That should not take two weeks.

The person I did it for got it in a few hours by email.

You need to sort out the US tax issue promptly.

Brendan

I have just received a similar email this evening.
Last month I followed Brendan’s step by step guide to the letter.
Ours is a joint account and 2 US tax forms received from CRH were completed and returned in the supplied envelopes.
Phoned helpline this evening, they confirmed our tax forms were received and recorded.

Our bank details are also recorded
Hopefully will not be getting dividend cheque in the post.

Are you by any chance a joint holder?
Joint holders cannot complete tax form online but must return US tax forms in paper form
Agent on helpline said they have sent this evenings email to all shareholders . Whether he meant all joint account holders I don’t know.
US helpline +353 (0) 1 696 8467 Option 1

I'm just about to start looking after CRH shares as part of an estate I'm Executor for. I'll ring registrar tomorrow, but any advance info of what I need to do would be great. I think about 60k euro worth of shares at date of death in December 22. Plan is to sell them.

Last edited:
@David_Dublin

Did you get the documentation telling you what to do?
Are the shares in share certificates or in an account?
If they were in certs, the Registrar is now Computershare U.S.

Brendan

@David_Dublin

Did you get the documentation telling you what to do?
Are the shares in share certificates or in an account?
If they were in certs, the Registrar is now Computershare U.S.

Brendan
Thanks for the reply @Brendan Burgess

I don't have recent post from the Deceased, and grant of Probate only issued last Friday so I'm only really getting going now. I had informed Link Asset Services of the death back in January. I have the Certs, not an account. All new to me this stuff! Slunds like I'll be told to deal directly with Computershare US when I try calling tomorrow.

I rang the helpline, thanks @valery , and all sorted now. Weirdest system, their rep told me that if you completed the process online, they would post your verification, but if you call the helpline, it comes by email.

the email re tax status was sent to all, but they confirmed that my form was received already.

for the banking details, my only option was the international wire, so that costs $10 a pop. Not impressed with the timing of all this by CRH so close to the interim dividend payout!

for the banking details, my only option was the international wire, so that costs $10 a pop.
I don't have CRH shares and so don't know whether this is possible, but could you create an account with a service like Wise, get US bank details (free, but you might have to deposit some money in Wise first), and then choose the "EFT to my US bank account" option? As well as avoiding the international wire fee, you might also get a better exchange rate.

A follow up to my posts #28 and #31 above in case it's useful for anyone. My relation retried the process, but this time in Windows (had previously been using linux) and doing the same that had failed prior this time succeeded. So maybe the operating system, or more likely the browser used matters. They got the required code by email by the next day.

Back