Step back vs Protected NCD

Xraylady

I'm just looking at quotes and considering the extras I can add. I am going to take ncd protected but it is more again if I take step back ncd also. Surely if you have protected ncd and have a claim your ncd is not affected. Why have step back as well? Its allowing me choose both but I cant see the logic? Can anyone enlighten me?

https://www.aviva.ie/media-library/How_will_a_claim_affect_my_No_Claims_Discount.pdf

If you exhaust your Protected NCD cover, Step Back would kick in.

But surely having the two is 'belt & braces' stuff. considering no claims so far. ever. I'm tempted to just go for protected?

Keep in mind as well such policy add-ons only apply to that insurer. In the event of a claim, if you go to shop around, full or step-back protection is meaningless to other insurers.

Keep in mind as well such policy add-ons only apply to that insurer. In the event of a claim, if you go to shop around, full or step-back protection is meaningless to other insurers.
Good point, I never considered that. You would need to stay with that insurer as others wouldn't ignore the fact that you had a claim. Thanks.

Maybe it's different in Northern Ireland, but I was recently at fault in an accident and claimed through my insurance. The only damage was to the other party's car, not my own and the repair has been settled in the amount of £750. (of course it had to be a BMW I hit!!)

As I was at fault my protected no claims bonus will be stepped back from 9+ years to 4 years. When I put my renewal details through the Compare NI website without declaring the accident and including my 12 years no claims discount that I would have had with no accident, the cheapest quote is £195. (note that I rarely go for the cheapest policy!)

When I submit it with details of the accident and declaring the 4 years stepped back No Claims Discount, the cheapest available quote is £325, about £50 more than I paid last year.

When I submit the same details, but with 0 years no claims discount, the cheapest quote goes up to £425.

So from this in my case, it's clear my premium has gone up due to having an accident, but not by as much if I didn't have protected no claims.

So from this in my case, it's clear my premium has gone up due to having an accident, but not by as much if I didn't have protected no claims.

I'm not familiar with the process there, so perhaps there are differences. Most companies here just ask if you have had any claims within the last X years to determine their price point.

If your insurance company is providing a certificate of NCB stating it as 4 years, then you're in a much better position alright.

Back