Steel shed choices and accessories.

Blackwexford

Registered User
Messages
119
Hi I'm looking at options for a steel garden shed. Size 10ft bt 7ft. I am in Mulingar just moved is. The garden is concrete i need to check the depth. Anyway any suggestions most well and experience. I reviewed the previous posts on the site however they are from 2010. Thanks
 
Bought a 10x8 steeltech shed in 2019. Very happy with same. Rock solid. May be worth getting the step up insulation rather than the basic. I have the basic (anti drip) and mine drips in the winter. I have mine wired for power which I've found useful. Shelving wise I think the options were limited. You could get internal wood panelling to help with same but may be expensive. Seen moveable freestanding shelving also used. One thing I would recommend is get the roof light on a side you cant see from the front if possible as can be unsightly over time. I dont have gutters and no issues. I know some people like for water butts/drainage etc.
 
Shanette Sheds in Kilbeggan would be another option and fairly close by.

Don't have one but know of a few people who have used them and they have been happy with the results
 
@Blackwexford - I have one (Steeltech) for a number of years, find it great. I didn't go for the any of the accessories in relation to shelving / storage etc as I thought they were expensive.
I did clad the inside wall on one side in 18mm OSB board, and was able to maximise the storage on that. I was given large storage shelving, so that was a huge help in relation to storing things off the floor.
I got a fuseboard put into the shed too - would be using power tools (well that was the plan!) in there and wanted to isolate such from the house. Lighting and sockets are a must ( more sockets you can put in, do... all sides of the shed - you never know when you need a socket ;-) . If you can , get an external socket put in ( if you haven't any already in the garden ).
As per @BigBoots82 - put the light roof panel facing away from garden and I didn't go for any guttering.

The one thing is the shed floor- I have a concrete floor in there but it's very dusty. I've sealed it over the years a number of times, but obviously the stuff I'm using isn't great - so I'll probably put in a heavier paint on there to try to minimise the dust.
 
Clane steel shed here and am very happy with it. Lads were in and out in a morning putting it together. No need for a concrete base either which cut down on the costs.
 
1. How does current steel shed owners prevent their Tools, garden mower, strimmer, etc and even nails from rusting?

2. How do ye prevent your sheds from being overun with Spiders, etc., that enter through all the ventilation vents and the long vent along the bottom that alllows condensatin to run off?
 
How much does a steeltech shed cost? Say 10 x 8ft or similar plus assembly but no other add ons like shelves etc.
 
Hello,

I've been thinking about getting one of these, to replace an old wooden shed.

Do you need a concrete base, or are people putting them directly on soil, or elevated on slabs, like most wooden sheds ?

What's the life expectancy and am I right in thinking they are maintenance free ?

Any tips or things to watching the for, when buying one ?

Many thanks
 
@MrEarl On existing tiles or a cement base. Wouldn't put directly onto soil/grass.
Maintenance free except an occassion oil on hinges. I lesve the spiders to it.
Glad to be shot of that wooden shed. Despite annual painting with roneeal ( which did next to nothing except freshen the colour). The metal shed looks good as new.

Used sheds direct in Finglas and found them excellent.
 
1. How does current steel shed owners prevent their Tools, garden mower, strimmer, etc and even nails from rusting?

2. How do ye prevent your sheds from being overun with Spiders, etc., that enter through all the ventilation vents and the long vent along the bottom that alllows condensatin to run off?
I have had no "rusty" tools from being stored in the shed - it's not damp, there is no condensation. I've electrical tools in there, no issues.

As for the spiders, they have their areas, I have mine - they keep the flies under control - so mutual benefit :)
 
Hi All,
Quick update, went to Angela in Clane steel sheds. Absolutely brilliant, a reel pleasure to deal with. Best price for a garden shed. We did shop around and found another company the shed was really well built, to be honest a bit too much for a shed and €1000 dearer. Anyway shed been delivered in early Nov, no need for a concrete base so another saving as they level and put on blocks all included. They also manufacture their own doors which were €200 cheaper and well built.
 
Hello,

I'm struggling to see myself putting a steel shed on anything other than a concrete, or full block base -the idea of sitting it on 9 spaced out concrete blocks, or directly on soil, looks to me like it'lll bring problems, in the future.
 
Last edited:
he idea of sitting it on 9 spaced out concrete blocks, or directly on soil, looks to me like it'lll bring problems, in the future.

They seem to come with a wooden floor - laid on blocks:
  • Self-supporting steel frame with a wooden floor​

  • Anti-condensation roofing​

  • Blocks and slabs for levelling​

 
Yeah, that will rot in time. how long just depends on how well the ventilation is maintained underneath (many block this as rodents like to live under sheds). Diverting rainwater from the roof to a water butt or drain will also help reduce dampness under the shed.
 
Yes wooden floor. There is an old concrete base as there was a garage at some stage, stones on it at the moment. Not too worried about floor rotting as treated. Also saves €1,200 in total, i found other people who have very similar from same company the shed is on grass and proped up with block, 12 years later the floor has not rotten. Some great questions and answers posted, thanks for that all.
 
Back
Top