Steak & wine pension- retire at 55?

Appreciate all the replies.
It’s not going to be easy but I’ll try to make it happen.
I think with regular pay increases over the next decade or so it’ll become more easier

I’ll save as much as I can now towards the extension. That’s my first priority because we really do need it now. We’ll enjoy the benefits of it as a family for years to come

Once the extension is cleared in full I’ll concentrate on maxing out the pensions and overpaying the mortgage

Thanks for the calculator- will be very useful I’m sure.

SBarrett, I’d love to see the face of my boss if I asked for a contribution to a home office build!!!! You make a valid point about savings company is making on the likes of me and others working from home but somehow I think if I tried to put through a builders invoice in my expenses it would declined!

55 is too ambitious but 60 might not be! It’s a goal and as much as I’d love to achieve it I want to enjoy life along the way too.

I’ll keep you posted if progress!

Appreciate the time taken to reply. It’s not easy to spare me your time and from personal experience I know how hard it is to get 60 seconds to yourself!!!

What about an attic conversion to give your son a bigger room and then convert the box room to an office. There are great ways to create storage and rearrange a house to make better space. sometimes you have to think outside the box. This includes creating good outside space too. this would take pressure off adding to your current mortgage and lead to you being able to retire early.

Attic conversion isn’t an option due to low pitching of roof. I’m lucky to have a very large back garden which will easily accommodate an extension and still leave a generous garden afterwards

There’s always the Lotto too

Thanks for the reply

Back