STEA & Director

kamakaze J

Hi,
I’m out of work 3 months, on temporary lay-off (i.e. not applied for redundancy yet) and currently on full JB.

As I can’t see there being any work in my previous employment for at least 6 months, this is the plan:

· Start up as sole-trader (hopefully approved under the short-term enterprise scheme)
· Become a Non-Proprietary Director (<15% shareholding) in a ltd co. My self-employed business may sub-contract elements of work to this for the first 9 months while i'm on STEA.

My queries are as follows:

1) Before I can start up do I have to get my P45 off my previous employer? (i.e. can I leave it on the off chance that the company turns things around and wants me back full time in which case I would shut down the self-employed business.)

2) I realise ‘A person is not allowed enter into paid employment as an employee either in a full-time or part-time capacity while on STEA’ However would the <15% shareholding affect the STEA if I was not getting paid by the ltd co. during the STEA period?

3) After the STEA is finished in 9 months, would I then be able to work in a part-time capacity for the ltd co and use any earnings from this company after this time against my PAYE credit for the year?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Back