stay at home single mum

caoilann

Hi all

I have after serious thought, endless childcare issues not to mention permanent exhaustion decided to pack in the 3 hour commute and 10 hour days to stay at home with my baby, may look at part time to keep me sane but I am a complete novice when it comes to benefits/taxes etc. any advice is much appreciated - I own my house and have a hefty mortgage so I plan to rent rooms or have students to help financially, I get minimum child support from X court ordered but the lowest amount!! I am aware of one parent family and medical card but is there anything else that can help?

Thanks very much

Contact CitizensInformation on 1890 777121 for more on your entitlements perhaps?

If you quit work this tax year then see if you are entitled to any tax back:

Form P50 - First Claim for Repayment During Unemployment

Obviously you can avail of the owner occupier rent a room scheme to collect up to €7,620 p.a. rental income tax free but I guess you know that already.

I get minimum child support from X court ordered but the lowest amount!!

Your circumstances have or are about to change so if the father of your child can afford it you could go back to court to seek a higher maintenance award.

cant am locked into it as bought the x out and am caught by capital gains or something similar for a few years also love it and the area and my child is happy all the usuals if i can make it work i will try!

basically covered what i am entitled to one parent family payment, FIS if working part time, medical card, supplementary payment between ending work and starting on welfare and mortgage relief on the interest paid which is discrectionary but still good to be aware as when tied into the childcare cycle its impossile to see a choice especially as a single parent home owner - Txs for your suggestions/advice

cant am locked into it as bought the x out and am caught by capital gains or something similar for a few years also love it and the area and my child is happy all the usuals if i can make it work i will try!
I guess you mean stamp duty as mentioned elsewhere? No matter how much you love it if you find that you can't realistically afford it then you may need to consider your options.

Would you consider maybe childminding aswell? I ask as my childminder is a stay at home single mum who left her job for pretty much the same reasons as you and she loves it.

Would you consider maybe childminding aswell? I ask as my childminder is a stay at home single mum who left her job for pretty much the same reasons as you and she loves it.

the above is certainly worth considering. It is possible to earn income of up to €15,000 (2007) from provision of certain childcare services before being subject to tax. Childcare service must be provided in the carer's home, not the children's home and no more than 3 children may be cared for at any time. Contact information for childcare committees throughout Ireland is here.

In addition, you can earn up to €7,620 from renting out rooms in your home before being subject to tax.

Hope this has been helpful.

keeping foreign students is also a way to earn for the most part of the year, especially if you don't want to rent continually to an adult (I wouldn't if i was on my own with a child).

Back