Stay at home parent back to work: register for Jobseekers Payment

Minnow2

Hi,
My wife has been a stay at home mother for 8 years and is ready to get back to work. She hasn't been claiming any SW to date.
She hasn't had any luck finding work so far. When we looked into CE schemes, we found that you need to be in receipt of Jobseekers Payment for 12 months to be eligible.
Is there an advantage to her registering now for Jobseekers Allowance? She would not receive much money (based on means test) but it would potentially make get eligible for CE or other scheme in time.
Note: Jobseekers Benefit not applicable for to insufficient PRSI contributions.
Thanks.

Yes there is. She can become eligible for schemes like the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance, the Back to Education Allowance as well as CE schemes.
Plus there's PRSI credits for signing on.

I'll be in the same situation myself. I havent been claiming any social welfare but now looking for a job in community development, I find myself excluded from many of these jobs, they are for people who have been on JA. I always presumed that due to means testing I wouldn't get anything as my husband is quite a high earner but I'm confused because a friend of mine who I would consider well off was on JA. Does anyone know roughly the sort of income bands that would definitely make you ineligible for JA?

Back