Status of State Guarantee on Saving Certficates/Bonds & Installment Savings.

C

conrod

Given the current perilous state of Govt Finances and the potential for insolvency and illiquidity is the status of the state guarantee for Saving Certificates/Bonds & Instalment Savings in question?

Is the guarantee itself in question? Do you mean removed? There is no suggestion that the NTMA/An Post state guarantee will be removed.

Obviously, there are questions, as discussed elsewhere, as to the states ability support deposits in the state banks (An Post/Anglo/INBS/AIB/EBS).

I fully realise that the guarantee nominally remains in place; however it is the security and reliability of the guarantee that is the source of my immediate worries?

Should I consider moving funds out of Certs/Bonds/Installment Savings (€120k)to an non Irish owned financial institution?

Ciaran T. how do you know that the state will pull out of the guarntee?
Are you saying that the savings of the irish people are in danger of being lost. In my opinion it is one thing to tax the hell out of us but totally another thing to take our hard earned cash. If that happened the streets will be full with rage and nothing and nobody will be safe.

I am somewhat concerned about a) the ability of the Government to service the deposit guarantee & b) the ability to keep their sticky fingers off my savings in the event that thing go very badly wrong, i.e. defaulting/bankruptcy of the nation. I have started to consider moving them out of Ireland.

Back