State supports for Vulnerable Children.

This one? https://www.imo.ie/policy-internati...Position-Paper-on-Women-in-Medicine-Final.pdf

So about 15% of female staff availing of part-time work? Doesn't seem like that's the major issue here - certainly not from the POV of the medics, who highlight these major issues.

• Gender-based Bullying, Gender-based Harassment, and Sexual Harassment
  • Addressing Gender Issues in Specialty Choice and Career Progression
  • Supporting a Balance between Family Life and Medical Training and Practice
So women in medicine are more than 5 times more likely than men to apply for part time work.
The numbers above don't take General Practice into account as GP's are usually self employed and can choose their hours.

Supporting a Balance between Family Life and Medical Training and Practice. Yes, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about. In order to support that balance the number of people being trained has to be part of the solution.

They took enough notice of the unions that HP recognised unions for the first time worldwide when BOI outsourced the IT team to HP. That's a few years back now, but it got a fair bit of attention at the time. An environment of industrial peace isn't an indicator that employers are ignoring unions. It may well be an indicator of the reverse.

That was what, 15 years ago?. It was a ringfenced agreement for those members who transferred over to HP only and the unions never got a foothold in the greater HP or in it's successors, HPE, DXC or Microfocus.

Reactions: Leo
Because they want to solve the problem, though probably not in the 'get back in the kitchen' way of some posters here. The first step to solving the problem is recognising the root cause. I've never seen any serious analysis indicating that part-time work is a serious contributing factor, and definitely not the only or main contributing factor to staff shortages in these areas.
I've a family member who's a speech therapist, they'd have a very different view to that!

I've a family member who's a speech therapist, they'd have a very different view to that!
Just to be clear, I'm not claiming to have any particular deep insight into that sector. I have a family member who's an SLT also, but I haven't had a proper chat with them since Covid, so I've no deep current insights there. From previous discussions, supply of new graduates was certainly a constraint, and there were issues with HSE recruitment practices that didn't help.

I've a family member who's a speech therapist

I have a family member who's an SLT also
Are the male of female?

I started this thread after a conversation with a friend who is a Speech Therapist. It was she who brought up the issue of job sharing and short hours in female dominated areas. Having been married to a doctor who also noted what she considered a problem with getting female GP's to work a full week I looked for data on the subject and couldn't find any.

Are the male of female?

I started this thread after a conversation with a friend who is a Speech Therapist. It was she who brought up the issue of job sharing and short hours in female dominated areas. Having been married to a doctor who also noted what she considered a problem with getting female GP's to work a full week I looked for data on the subject and couldn't find any.
Female

I work in recruitment HSE and have never appointed a male Speech and Language Therapist or an OT. We do get a few male Physios and Radiographers. These grades the HSCPs were always a scarce grade. Social Workers for child protection was a struggle 20 years ago.

A SALT as they call themselves told me a certain amount go into private sector.

The approval process is hellish, in our place it's 2 Committees, one for agency and one for payroll, all vacancies have to go through them.

The national recruitment system didn't work so agency became a norm. So much so that the national people are using agencies to fill jobs.

What to do? More college places and start targeting more males for courses that are predominantly female filled. Otherwise I have nothing.

Back