State Savings Rates (incl. Prize Bonds) to Increase - Finally

Evening. State Savings info indicate that "The maximum investment for Savings Bonds, Savings Certificates and National Solidarity Bonds is €120,000 for individuals." Is this a limit per issue? TIA
 
Thanks for your helpful reply Clubman. I'd checked on the NTMA website and found:
 

Attachments

  • 1787519279399.webp
    1787519279399.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I am getting 1.21% as the return on €100 prizes. My revised spreadsheet attached is not fully checked. I agree with @Lightning that it is still a poor deal. I won't be returning.
@Duke of Marmalade @Lightning @Freelance I'm having some brain fog here reading this. Can someone explain to me again why the statistical yield is 1.25% (because large prizes taken out?), and, on a holding of €100k 16 prizes of €100 is most likely outcome. Is that not most likely outcome of €1,600 in prizes giving 1.6%? And what is the 75 in the formula highlighted, is this related to the prize amount? :confused:

Explanation in plain english for those of us (i.e. me) that need some tlc on this :)

pbs.webp
 
Explanation in plain english for those of us (i.e. me) that need some tlc on this
Mea culpa :confused: There were some trailing references to the old €75 pay-outs of which you spotted one.
I think I have corrected it but please advise if you need further clarification.
The expected pay-out from "small prizes" remains at 1.18%
 
Last edited:
Hi. FYI. We are an elderly couple and have €38,000 in Prize Bonds. (We need access to the money quickly in case one of us pops our clogs.)
We won 4 X €75 prizes since Aug 25.
 
Hi. FYI. We are an elderly couple and have €38,000 in Prize Bonds. (We need access to the money quickly in case one of us pops our clogs.)
We won 4 X €75 prizes since Aug 25.
Less than 0.8% return. You'd get much better than that even on deposit.
 
Yes, a joint bank account with one of the decent demand or term rates would probably be a better idea. And you should ask yourselves if either surviving spouse would really need immediate access to all €38K in the event of a bereavement.
 
The expected pay-out from "small prizes" remains at 1.21%

This is incorrect. The small prize rate is 1.18%. You are still showing the number of weekly €100k prizes as 40 whereas it should be 52. Since the changes effective on 1st October 2023 the weekly prize is paid every week, including the end of month/quarter, and this will continue when the new prize structure comes into operation on Friday next. Above post subsequently edited and corrected. See post #32
 
Last edited:
I have had no end of issues and delays extracting my money from State Savings.
I'll second this, having had similar experiences on numerous occasions. It wouldn't stop me using State Savings Products, but when it comes to redeeming I always allow time for State Savings to toss a spanner or two into the works. Redemptions can take a week, but can also run to 5/6 weeks.

Hi. FYI. We are an elderly couple and have €38,000 in Prize Bonds. (We need access to the money quickly in case one of us pops our clogs.)
Just a word of warning based on my experience. Assuming that the bonds are held in your joint names, redeeming them when one of you passes away will take a considerable amount of paperwork and time. Further info here.

Again, assuming that your current bonds are held in your joint names, you could consider splitting them into two individual holdings of €19,000 each. These can be redeemed online which is usually (but not always) a lot faster. When required, the survivor could them redeem the €19,000 held in their own name "quickly" using the online process, while the claim in relation to the deceased's holding goes through the hoops.
 
Last edited:
I attach the latest and hopefully correct version of the spreadsheet. Earlier versions have been deleted. Thanks to @podgerodge and @Freelance for pointing out errors. I don't think the substantive message has changed. An increase from 1% to 1.5% when wholesale rates have increased by c.3% is a bit of a disgrace.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Not a great article.

The article says institutional investors are getting paid more via direct bond investments. Why not mention that retail investors can get paid more too.

And Raisin rates quoted in the article are old rates.
 
I took out a few 10 year bonds in the last 12 months at the 22% rate, cashed them all in last week. and reinvested in 10 year bonds at 30%, using the state saving online facility.

N26 bank account was very handy as allows 30k per day card limit, which is way higher than the other banks, subject to a calendar month limit of 80k.
 
I took out a few 10 year bonds in the last 12 months at the 22% rate, cashed them all in last week. and reinvested in 10 year bonds at 30%, using the state saving online facility.
Hi Fayf, Really ? So you did not have to cash them in, get a cheque sent to you and then back into the Post Office again to re-invest in the new issue ? Wish I knew that .. I'm in the process of trying to get the cheques posted out to me in order to re-invest. Its a pity they did not mention that to me as an option. Just signed up to their online portal now .. Bit late :-(
 
Not actually locked away.
You can cash in at any time although the interest is heavily back loaded. (see table below)
You can also just cash in a percentage and the remainder enjoys the full original T&Cs.

Anniversary of the Registration Date on or after which redemption occursTotal Cumulative Bonus PercentageExample of return (principal and bonus) on €1,000 Principal Amount
1st0.00%€1,000
2nd1.25%€1,012.50
3rd2.50%€1,025
4th3.50%€1,035
5th6.00%€1,060
6th8.50%€1,085
7th10.50%€1,105
8th15.00%€1,150
9th22.00%€1,220
10th30.00%€1,300
 
Last edited:
Back
Top