State savings have no online facility

No it hasn't. It doesn't have an Irish license. It has "notified" the CBI that it offers services in Ireland under EU cross border provisions

Central Bank's only involvement would be related to marketing rules in Ireland
Oh right apols for that, thought when the Central Bank were regulating it for conduct of business rules it was recognised as a bank. I know N26 is a German bank hence the DE iban but I genuinely thought the CBI recognised it as a bank too. I know Revolut isn’t seen as a bank in Ireland but I understood N26 was.

More paperwork = need to have more human intervention = more overtime for staff etc ;)

It's actually incredible / disgraceful how many state / semi state entities and related services, still insist on hard copy documentation.
They won't get hackers so should save millions on expensive cyber security experts.
I would feel safer having my savings with them

Actually, I think they might be listening! I recently discovered that they have a new registration page. The forum rules won't allow me post links but if you visit the State Savings website you will find it fairly easily.

Edit: Link added by moderator.
Thanks a lot for that.
I was not aware of it before now.

Just had a look. It seems you need to be registered to buy online, if not you need to fill in and submit an application. You can then buy products online. Couldn't be bothered.

Last edited:
Just had a look. It seems you need to be registered to buy online, if not you need to fill in and submit an application. You can then buy products online. Couldn't be bothered.
I remember having to apply for an SSCN (State Savings Customer Number) a few years back before I could buy prize bonds online. This was before this (new?) online account thing so maybe it's different now?

I remember having to apply for an SSCN (State Savings Customer Number) a few years back before I could buy prize bonds online. This was before this (new?) online account thing so maybe it's different now?

Also worth noting that the account holder must be over 18 to register online, even with a SSCN.

I tried to register my kids' accounts this morning and was unable to. Customer service agent was unable to explain why this is the case unfortunately when we spoke.

I tried to register my kids' accounts this morning and was unable to. Customer service agent was unable to explain why this is the case unfortunately when we spoke.
Could be a GDPR restriction?
Although I thought that the relevant age limit in that context was 16?

The introduction of the GDPR and the adopting of 16 as the Digital Age of Consent in Ireland came into effect on May 25th.

For what it's worth it does state it clearly here but doesn't explain why.

To register for State Savings Online, you will need to:
  • Be at least 18 years old
Maybe there's some additional rule that restricts access to financial products to those aged 18+? E.g. Central Bank rules?

When they say "allow up to 10 working days to receive your registration PIN in the post" they're not joking! :(
I was nearly giving up.
But managed to log in although several Prize Bonds that I hold are not listed and I had to write to them to add them.

BTW - funny how pre € era bonds are worth €6.35 each while others are worth €6.25 each...

I have to say I’ve found the customer service from State Savings to be absolutely shocking. Over a 5 year period, we tried to change our postal address 3 times with them, but they literally couldn’t execute the request. The concept appears to be great as long as you never ask for your money back. When we looked at the interest earned over an 8 year period of child allowance it equated to less than 1%. We pulled our money out and put it to work elsewhere.
Where did you put it ??

State Savings Online have now added an online Cash-In and/or Reinvest option. From the state savings website:

If you are a State Savings Online customer you can now cash in your sole holdings and request that repayment is transferred to your personal bank account. You can also request us to reinvest your matured sole holdings into other State Savings products.

Full details here

Note that this applies to Savings Certs and Bonds, National Solidarity Bonds and Prize bonds. But not deposit accounts.

The new online Cash in / Reinvest facility is great for those that have savings certs / bonds etc in their sole name.

But I would guess that many like myself and Mrs t have them in joint names, so this facility doesn't look like it will be of any use to us.

Last edited:
The new online Cash in / Reinvest facility is great for those that have savings certs / bonds etc in their sole name.

But I would guess that many like myself and Mrs t have them in joint names, so this facility doesn't look like it will be of any use to us.

@twofor1

Just tried the reinvest option and under the 'Application Type' it does appear to give the joint purchase option?

I have some older 10 year National Solidarity Bonds which still pays interest every year. I get a few small cheques each year. It's not very clear and I think the answer is No but if you add your IBAN details any chance they would stop sending out these cheques and just transfer money to your bank account?

I have some older 10 year National Solidarity Bonds which still pays interest every year. I get a few small cheques each year. It's not very clear and I think the answer is No but if you add your IBAN details any chance they would stop sending out these cheques and just transfer money to your bank account?

I can't confirm that this will work, but I have been getting my annual interest from National Solidarity Bonds paid directly to my bank account for the past number of years, so they can do it!

Thanks Sue Ellen,

Did you succeed in cashing in / reinvesting joint savings certs / bonds online ?

Tks.

@twofor1

I wasn't actually going to do anything but was just interested to see if the option was definitely available for joint purchasers/owners because it did seem like madness if it wasn't.

Back