State pension - does surviving partner get anything extra?

horseshoe20

Enquiring on behalf of the ILs. Elderly couple both on state pensions - if one dies will the other just have his or her own pension or do they get a widows/widowers allowance as well?

Last edited:
A pensioner can only receive one DSP pension. The surviving spouse will either continue to get their state pension or the widow's/widower's pension, whichever is the higher.

There is a living alone allowance of about 14 euro pw which can be applied for.

Thank you - they were just wondering, so they will basically be down to around half what they were. (Not) good to know, thanks!

I seem to remember a relative telling me 4 years ago when their spouse died that they got their spouses pension paid to them for a No of weeks. That was the only reason I brought it up in case it may help the OP.

they will basically be down to around half what they were.

We used to be told "two can live as cheaply as one" but being in this position myself, I see it rather that it costs one person the same amount to live as two. Only food costs drop somewhat, the basic house maintenance and upkeep, heating etc remain the same.
As a single person, even if the income remains the same, one will pay more in tax than as a couple.

Thanks for all the answers. It's not something they're overly concerned about but it did come up in conversation and they were wondering. Good to know for sure.

Back