State of Property on Tenant Leaving

if I had to feel sorry for someone
I think I would be more in the side of the tenants ...

So zardebt, do you feel sorry for the family who caused E2,000 worth of damage to kiernp's house and feel that kiernp deserved it as he's a landlord who possibly stands to make a profit when he sells his property?

What if the property market crashes and kiernp finds himself in negative equity, will you feel sorry for him then?

ah now delgirl no one deserves misfortune as you said it works both ways

if a landlord has 2,0000 worth of damage he can write some of it off against tax and
when he sells his house he still can make a tidy profit

if a tenant loose a depoit he/she can't write it off against tax ...

if the property market crashes and kiernp finds himself in negative equity well thats is
the nature of the any business there are risk and with every gain comes a risk

I mean would you feel sorry for Bank of Ireland if they began to make a loss .....

haven't the bank and the landlords had it good for a longtime ..

You're missing the point zardebt, if the poor tenants didn't wilfully damage the property they wouldn't lose their deposit now would they?

If they had the decency to wash off the mess their children made or offer to paint it before they left, I don't think any landlord would keep their deposit.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to respect. I have the greatest respect for my tenants - I respect their privacy and their right to peaceful enjoyment of, what is after all, their home. I do, however, expect this respect to be reciprocated and deliberate damage to someone elses property, be it a landlord, neighbour or whatever, is extremely disrespectful and unacceptable.

All landlords accept normal wear and tear, drawing on the walls unfortunately doesn't fall into this category.

The assumption seems to be that all landlords are respecting and fair with their tenants and that its the tenants that cause all the hassle.

This is not always the case. Some landlords can be downright unfair and unpleasant.
I've had landlords refuse to pay back deposits despite my having had carpets steam cleaned and left the place spotless.
One landlord wanted to keep over 1000 deposit because the windows weren't cleaned properly !
I've had others who have complained and even refused to fix basic things in the house (problem with heating etc).

Of course a tenant should treat a landlords house with respect and it should be handed back in good condition but what excatly is reasonable wear and tear ????

If I rent a house for 8 years at 1500 per month (144,000 in total) then I think as long as we leave the place in good nic (nothing broken, not damage to furniture etc)the landlord should give the place a lick of paint and clean the carpets before the next tenant without any lose of my deposit. On the grand scale of things its not very much for him to do...especially if tenants have been good payers, no trouble etc...

delgirl said:
You're missing the point zardebt, if the poor tenants didn't wilfully damage the property they wouldn't lose their deposit now would they?

If they had the decency to wash off the mess their children made or offer to paint it before they left, I don't think any landlord would keep their deposit.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to respect. I have the greatest respect for my tenants - I respect their privacy and their right to peaceful enjoyment of, what is after all, their home. I do, however, expect this respect to be reciprocated and deliberate damage to someone elses property, be it a landlord, neighbour or whatever, is extremely disrespectful and unacceptable.

All landlords accept normal wear and tear, drawing on the walls unfortunately doesn't fall into this category.
I agree with you that deliberate damage is disrespectful qed

but a child’s scribbles ...... I am sorry I can't put that in the above category

there is always some bad eggs out there but one must factor this in any business ... ?

The outliers always makes the headlines but if you look at the average picture up to now the landlords had it good overall??

Hi

I have a simple philosophy as a landlord that works for me everytime. I make sure to offer a quality service to my tenants (I view them as my customers) and I treat them as such. I ensure they have proper standard accomodation and I visit every 6 months to ensure everything is ok. I invite them to contact me the minute they have a problem and if there is, I ensure its fixed asap.
To date, I have rarely been called upon and my properties are always left in excellent condition.
My view is that the only good tenant is the one that has served their contract, is fully paid up and has left the property in good condition. I take no chances. So treat them well, and human nature dictates that they will reciprocate. This is simply good business sense.
Hope that helps

t

Theo said:
Hi

I have a simple philosophy as a landlord that works for me everytime. I make sure to offer a quality service to my tenants (I view them as my customers) and I treat them as such. I ensure they have proper standard accomodation and I visit every 6 months to ensure everything is ok. I invite them to contact me the minute they have a problem and if there is, I ensure its fixed asap.
To date, I have rarely been called upon and my properties are always left in excellent condition.
My view is that the only good tenant is the one that has served their contract, is fully paid up and has left the property in good condition. I take no chances. So treat them well, and human nature dictates that they will reciprocate. This is simply good business sense.
Hope that helps

t

well said ....t but like any business you have to factor in the possibility of
repairs damages etc just like the shop keeper factors in shoplifting ..

Theo said:
Hi

Hope that helps
t

I totally agree with you. Had a good relationship with my previous tenants who were invited to my home on several occasions for parties,bar-b-qs and pre dinner drinks on Christmas morning.

Monday 27th June, 9pm on UTV - Tenants from Hell - a must-see for all would-be landlords! They're out there! :eek:

Kiernp said:
I don't mean just untidy I mean ranging from dirty to squalid, this includes a room littered with animal waste, carcass bones, rooms never having been hoovered during the tenancy, lots of personal stuff including rubbish left behind.
The last tenant followed the same pattern and was indignant when I withheld 100 euro of her deposit. I'm prompted to write this because a second property I let to a professional couple with a child has been damaged by a fire requiring me to visit. The walls in every room have been scribbled on by the kid, full scale drawings several feet square in every room! The house was freshly painted when they took occupancy. I have spoken to an agent about this and I was told "Irish people don't respect other people's property".

When tenants give a months notice to vacate a property it is at this stage that you must enquire if they intend to clean the property themselves or if they require you to organise professional cleaners at their expense. Using this line alone can have dramatic results!!!! This is being fair as the tenant has a month to clean, if they fail to do so and are hit with the charge or a contribution towards professional cleaners at least they were warned.

When new tenants move into a property it can be helpful if at the lease signing stage that refuse is correctly explained i.e. who pays for the service, who pays for bin replacement if the bins become misplaced. State also that a charge will be imposed if the bins are left overflowing on vacating the property and if bags of refuse or any personal items are left on the property that the charges for a man with a trailer will be deducted from the deposit.

Depending on the size of the property, holding back €100 was not unfair. Average four bed house cleaning cost would be €200 depending on the location and the actual condition.
As for dogs, the lease should contain a note that animals are not accepted or at least get the tenants to sign a disclaimer that states that any evidence of an animal when vacating will be rectified at the cost of the tenants.

I hope this helps!!

I have been renting property for 10 years , i fulfill all of my obligations to the tenants as provided for in the standard lease and i also pay all of my taxes , i registered with the PRTB before the deadline , no word so far.

some have been great and some have been terrible . i have one guy who has been i one of my houses 3 years this December and he is no trouble at all , he sometimes is late with his rent but as he works construction his income is not steady and i make allowances for that . he appreciates that i consider this.
In another house i have the people have just left and have an outstanding ESB bill (485 euros) and that was a month ago, now i am going to take them to court for the outstand ballance (the bill is in my name ) . i have done it before and the outcome was sadisfactory . after a few months both myself and the lawyer got paid
Do people think that they cannot fulfill there finantial obligations ?
My lawyer loves this type of work , the facts are not an issue and going to court is all in a day's work , they/i am giong to get paid

i maintain all of my properties to a good standard of decoration and if something needs to be fixed i fix it .

how about the time the drug squad broke down the front door in search of drugs , the guy had his own business and when i met him he seemed great to me but it was his partners adult children that had gone bad .

are the drug squad going to pay for the door? NO and how about the lost income while i had the door fixed and had to go out and find new people .

there are good and bad tenants and landlords , i hope as a good landlord i will get the good tenants

mikeyny

Tenant vacated house yesterday morning - she was there for the last year. Inspected it only to find water damage across 3 rooms in the house - there had been a leak in the water mains in the attic. B*tch didn't bother her This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language to tell me... just let it be. Looks like the leak had been there for weeks...even months! Damage may be €5-7k!

She also stole the double-bed! And the house is unbelievably filthy! There is grime everywhere! I am NOT a happy camper!

-soc

Commiserate with you soc, been there and have the photos to prove it!

Some people don't believe this actually happens - here's you and kiernp in the space of a few days with the same problem.

Since it happened to me in 1999, I've made a point of being a more frequent visitor to check things as they go along so I, hopefully, don't get any surprises at the end of the tenancy. I've also included an additional sheet with the tenancy agreement entitled 'Some of the more Common Causes for Deductions from Your Deposit'.

Hi soc - Did you give her back the deposit before she vacated ? Surely the time to return a deposit is on vacation of premises.

Soc, while I understand your fury at the tenant for not telling you, its really up to you as a landlord to manage the property. As a minimum, properties need to be visited every 6 months - if you do not do this, you are sending a signal to your tenant that you do not care about her or the property, so why should she?

Property investing is a business, and even if you only have one investment property, you are increasing your risk if you do not treat it as such.

As a general rule, about 5% of tenants will be bad eggs no matter what you do. That's life and its a risk you accept when you invest. The other 95% will treat the property well if you act in a professional manner when dealing with them and your property. My figures are based on personal experience as a professional landlord and the personal experiences of other fellow professionals.

t

elcato said:
Hi soc - Did you give her back the deposit before she vacated ? Surely the time to return a deposit is on vacation of premises.
Most definately did not return tbe bond! She was a couple of weeks behind in rent too. But this doesn't cover the damage done, rent owing and the bed.

Back