State benefit - PUP

deco87

Hi
I’m fortunate enough to be returning to work next Friday , is my first day back . I know you have to come off the pup the actual day you return - that’s fine - I think it’s paid in arrears -
My query is , does my employer pay me for the actual Friday ? Or is that day covered by the pandemic. Payment -
Thank you

( I hope I put this in correct forum - if not please move to appropriate- thanks , D)

Why would your employer not pay you for a day's work and let the state carry the can? Of course they have to pay you for work done.

There's always going to be an overlap,as the pup is paid on a weekly basis with no pro rating .
If you sign off on Friday,you'll get paid twice more!

Why would your employer not pay you for a day's work and let the state carry the can? Of course they have to pay you for work done.
It wouldn’t surprise me at all - my question is - does the pup cover the Friday or not ?
if pup covers the Friday - you can be sure employer won’t pay for a day ( or more ) if the pup payment covers it -
Can’t find regulations on it - thanks anyway

There's always going to be an overlap,as the pup is paid on a weekly basis with no pro rating .
If you sign off on Friday,you'll get paid twice more!
I know your right as I was laid off before I got a further one , if not two weeks , pup ( arrears !!)- I’m just wondering what day does the pup actually stop at !? Unlikely employer will pay for a day worked when I return if the pup covers it

The payment period of COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment is Friday to Thursday. If you close your claim to return to work and have at least one qualifying day in that period you will receive full payment for that week.

I know your right as I was laid off before I got a further one , if not two weeks , pup ( arrears !!)- I’m just wondering what day does the pup actually stop at !? Unlikely employer will pay for a day worked when I return if the pup covers it
Why would your employer know anything about your Social Welfare payments??

Employers do not input the payments themselves though, they get a new RPN from Revenue which accounts for any changes to the tax credits available for that employment. The only exception I can think of is when the employer receives the payment and pays it over to the employee (frequently the case with MB or IB) and even then a new RPN has to issue.

Last edited:
An article today in the independent says that a report concludes that the pandemic unemployment payment was a "significant disincentive to work" Quelle surprise,
Employers have been telling the government this for the last 6 months that the pup payments are stopping people returning to jobs in construction and hospitality, yet no movement from government to tighten it up and close it down

Reactions: jim
Back